ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I cross over???

Default Should I cross over???

Never say never...I told myself I would NEVER do reef. I found a new LFS near me that has incredible soft corals. I keep seeing the small not quite nano but small tanks with gorgeous corals and one or two fish and a cleaner shrimp or other invert. I have so much to learn and lots of time to do it. I also know I will end up spending a ton of money. Not a huge issue but moving from discus to salt...should I do it? I have the time. But really, should I? Can someone talk some sense into or out of me? Please?
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Should I cross over???

That is the post of someone who has already made up their mind. Stop feeling guilty and just do it.

Real Name
    Tobi

Do it. My wife has one and we really enjoy it, lots going on in there. Amazing colors on some fish and corals.

If you get a small one with built in skimmer, just add live sand, live rock and watch what grows, really simple to operate. It's crazy what kind of critters develop, really cool little ecosystem in a glass cube.

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoanna View Post
    That is the post of someone who has already made up their mind. Stop feeling guilty and just do it.
    I am really still on the fence but you are right on the guilty part Matt! I think the next post will push me over...going in for a closer look...

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Do it. My wife has one and we really enjoy it, lots going on in there. Amazing colors on some fish and corals.

If you get a small one with built in skimmer, just add live sand, live rock and watch what grows, really simple to operate. It's crazy what kind of critters develop, really cool little ecosystem in a glass cube.

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg
    Oh my! Yes. That is exactly what I was thinking. What is the name of that green bubble guy? That is really cool. What brand tank did you start with? Gorgeous. Pretty sure you have just pushed me over the fence I was balanced on.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Will you be leaving discus for marine or doing both?

Real Name
    Matt

Do both! Honestly, SW has given me far more enjoyment than FW ever did, I like both but I could sit and watch or explore a SW tank for hours. FW there is only so much going on. SW is like an alien planet when you start inspecting rocks and crevices and watching so much creature interaction. I don't find it terribly expensive to maintain, the initial setup is the largest part. This tank has been going for at least 3 years now. It's stony not soft but I love it! Still trying to figure out how I can afford an upgrade to a larger system, to many expenses right now.

FTSfeb2016b by Matt, on Flickr
    FTSfeb2016 by Matt, on Flickr
    fts Dec 2016 by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I went from SW to FW (and discus) and the discus are more work . I miss my SW tank http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...cus-I-Had-This.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Casey

I had one for years, they're fun. Can be expensive depending on the coral you buy.

They are a lot of work as well. Water changes are less but it's always something. I was always terrified to leave for vacation lol

Pat, you really think Discus are more work? I found my reef tank to be constant testing, dosing etc etc.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    Last edited by Lido; 03-06-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Will you be leaving discus for marine or doing both?
    I will keep discus as long as I possibly can. I can't imagine ever losing my passion for these guys. The marine is just something new to learn and try. I like the idea of the small tank. I think I just need a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Do both! Honestly, SW has given me far more enjoyment than FW ever did, I like both but I could sit and watch or explore a SW tank for hours. FW there is only so much going on. SW is like an alien planet when you start inspecting rocks and crevices and watching so much creature interaction. I don't find it terribly expensive to maintain, the initial setup is the largest part. This tank has been going for at least 3 years now. It's stony not soft but I love it! Still trying to figure out how I can afford an upgrade to a larger system, to many expenses right now.

FTSfeb2016b by Matt, on Flickr
    FTSfeb2016 by Matt, on Flickr
    Wow! That is a gorgeous one too. I really get what you mean by an "alien planet". Walking around the reef shop is surreal. The shapes and colors are amazing. Thank you so much for posting. How many gallons is yours?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I will keep discus as long as I possibly can. I can't imagine ever losing my passion for these guys. The marine is just something new to learn and try. I like the idea of the small tank. I think I just need a new project.
    Totally here ya there! New projects are always fun. I plan to foray back into this shortly, myself. I had a little 8 gallon all in one nano going but that has been a few years. I spend way too much time on youtube watching and researching reef tanks...

Like anything else, discus included, there seems to be a multitude of variations. I've seen some really simple and easy to maintain set-ups that make it all seem easy and possible. The initial start up seems to be like the real task, once you are going, it sort of runs itself.

That being said, as you can see here, some do a glass box and a sponge filter and some do big crazy biotopes and huge sumps and what-not. Make it what works for you and what will bring you pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I went from SW to FW (and discus) and the discus are more work . I miss my SW tank http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...cus-I-Had-This.
    Pat
    That is a gorgeous tank too Pat. You should get it up and running again! You can do both- I am sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    I had one for years, they're fun. Can be expensive depending on the coral you buy.

They are a lot of work as well. Water changes are less but it's always something. I was always terrified to leave for vacation lol

Pat, you really think Discus are more work? I found my reef tank to be constant testing, dosing etc etc.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    That is a gorgeous one too Casey. I have a lot to learn. It all looks pretty intimidating. I am in no hurry. I am going to do what I did before my discus and read, read, read. I actually need to take more time to learn because I bought a lot of stuff I didn't need. I will be spending enough on the things I really do so patience will be a virtue here.

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Totally here ya there! New projects are always fun. I plan to foray back into this shortly, myself. I had a little 8 gallon all in one nano going but that has been a few years. I spend way too much time on youtube watching and researching reef tanks...

Like anything else, discus included, there seems to be a multitude of variations. I've seen some really simple and easy to maintain set-ups that make it all seem easy and possible. The initial start up seems to be like the real task, once you are going, it sort of runs itself.

That being said, as you can see here, some do a glass box and a sponge filter and some do big crazy biotopes and huge sumps and what-not. Make it what works for you and what will bring you pleasure.
    Yes. I am thinking no larger than a 32 gallon bio cube. Need simple as possible. Small and contained was the only way I could convince the husband. He already thinks I am nuts with the discus.

Make sure to post here when you get back in. Would love to see what you end up with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast