ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I cross over???

Real Name
    Casey

Default Re: Should I cross over???

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    You guys are killing me with these pics. So beautiful. I am definitely going smaller though or my husband will make me live in the basement.
    People may agree or disagree on these but here are my recommendations to you, not including tank/skimmer/hardware

1. When you set up, use dead rock and make it "live rock" yourself.
    2. Use Reef Crystals w/ RO and make your own salt water
    3. If you plan on dosing, get a pump
    4. Remember those awesome quarantine practices you learned with Discus. continue to do that. Hair algae, random critters, can really wreak havoc on your corals/fish
    5. After you've established your system before you add any fish. Especially nano type fish, gobies, wrasse etc, add in rotofers or copepods to your system. They'll help to build a healthy food source for your fish.
    6. always dip your coral
    7. Keep your lighting schedule the same everyday. Corals require a photo and non photo period for optimum growth.
    8. Add all of your tangs at the same time if you choose to have any.
    9. If you have any questions at all, ask. Email me, message me i'd love to help.

PS just like discus keep your parameters within a healthy range. Red Sea makes awesome test kits.

now i'm thinking about a tank... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Last edited by Lido; 03-07-2017 at 07:11 PM.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Real Name
    Dale

The 14 gal is the top right pic with the two shrimp in it. Right now there are 15 running tanks in my house between the discus and the salts. The 3 bio-cubes are still up and running and the 75 is finishing its cycling.
    Last edited by Yom; 03-07-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Quote Originally Posted by Lido View Post
    People may agree or disagree on these but here are my recommendations to you, not including tank/skimmer/hardware

1. When you set up, use dead rock and make it "live rock" yourself.
    2. Use Reef Crystals w/ RO and make your own salt water
    3. If you plan on dosing, get a pump
    4. Remember those awesome quarantine practices you learned with Discus. continue to do that. Hair algae, random critters, can really wreak havoc on your corals/fish
    5. After you've established your system before you add any fish. Especially nano type fish, gobies, wrasse etc, add in rotofers or copepods to your system. They'll help to build a healthy food source for your fish.
    6. always dip your coral
    7. Keep your lighting schedule the same everyday. Corals require a photo and non photo period for optimum growth.
    8. Add all of your tangs at the same time if you choose to have any.
    9. If you have any questions at all, ask. Email me, message me i'd love to help.

PS just like discus keep your parameters within a healthy range. Red Sea makes awesome test kits.

now i'm thinking about a tank... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Thanks Casey! I appreciate your advice and will definitely use it. I had already decided on the dead rock just because I am a control freak. And other than QT practices everything else is new to me information. It kinda scares me. I have a lot to learn. Thank you I will be bugging you. Be careful what you wish for.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    The 14 gal is the top right pic with the two shrimp in it. Right now there are 15 running tanks in my house between the discus and the salts. The 3 bio-cubes are still up and running and the 75 is finishing its cycling.
    15 tanks! You must just be as wet as the fish all the time with all the maintenance.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Dale

I don't do it all my self, my son is a UConn Marine Science grad and still lives at home so he does the coral and reef stuff, I do the discus and we share the FOWLR and the predator tank.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123