ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 65 G.- Stendker juvie mix growout thread

Real Name
    Filip

Default 65 G.- Stendker juvie mix growout thread

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.
    Hi SD fellow discus keepers .
    After a mistake and disaster with my previous batch of 6 fullgrown discus , here is a tribute pic of them just for remembrance

IMG__20170366__033416.jpg

And the thread about them :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-discus-tank

I'm back on the tracks again with a new Stendker growout journey ahead of me . I'm ready and set to give my new batch the best care and pampering I can handle and hoping for a good colouring , shaping and final result .

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?
    My previous discus experience is about +6 years of keeping discus and lots and lots of reading mainly from this forum, since it is the best place on the net for getting first hand experience and advices from succesfull discus keepers .

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
    My tank is 65 G 130cm. l x 40cm. w x 50cm h .
    Its a display tank in my living room so I guess that's why I always insist on keeping some greenery and decoration in it eventhoug it makes discus keeping much harder
    It was bleached out and started from the scratch and properly cycled for a full 1-2 months with bottled bacteria , plants in pots and a lots of fish food on a daily level.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
    The tank is a growout BB but it has potted plants along the back for aesthetic purpose since it is a display tank in my living room . Some driftwood is also included , just enough to cover the plant pots .
    My initial plan is to put a thin layer of sand once my discus is grown but who knows , I just might learn to like BB and leave it this way for a easier and simple maintenance routines and for much cleaner and healthier water .

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.
    WCs are planned Daily at least for the first couple of months from 50% to 90% depending on my time and discus needs .
    I can only age 40% of my tank volume and the rest will be straight tap but prefiltered with floss for outgassing .
    So it will be a mix of aged and straight tap .

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
    -Canister filter with big volume , four trays and 550 GPH Flow rate.
    -Inline UV sterilizer 40 Watts - 20 inch long tube .
    -Lights T5 tubes with reflectors. 3 tubes x 54 watts .I mainly use only two of them and the third is used 2 hours a day occasionally to boost the plant growth .
    -Heater - Jagger Eheim 300 watts

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp 28 -29 C _

- tank ph 8.0

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap 8.2

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 5- 10 ppm. The same reading straight from the tap and in the aquarium too.
    Municipal water

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
    11 tiny Stendker discus 4-5 Cm. :

3x Pigeon bloods
    3x Red / blue snakeskins
    2x Stendker Santarems
    2x Alenquers
    1 x Diamond blue

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.
    Stendker discus recipe just to get them started and Beefheart , Shrimps Artemia and tetrabits for a long run .
    3 times a day eavenly spreaded at 8:00 ; 16:00 and 23:00 hours .

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?
    Discus planted community tanks + Breeding experience and raising my own fry from zero .

And now the funniest part of the introduction .Pictures and videos of discus and tank
    They are 3 days in there so far and eating from day 1 but still hiding when there is traffic in front of them . :

IMG_20170305_235536.jpg
    IMG_20170305_235635.jpg
    IMG_20170306_000331.jpg
    IMG_20170306_000335.jpg
    IMG_20170306_000344.jpg
    Last edited by Filip; 10-07-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: 65 G.- Stendker juvie mix growout thread

Last edited by Filip; 07-18-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Registered Member

Looking good!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

YAY Filip!!!! Congrats and I am so happy for you that you were able to find quality discus at an affordable price so close to your hometown. Now its time to put the past in the past and let bygones be bygones. Only moving forward now. They are super cute.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Filip

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement Jacklyn and David .
    That's right Jacklyn , moving forward and feeling super excited right now with my new babies .
    I have never kept 2 inch tiny discus before and although they still lack shape and colouring , they look super cute to me too .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

question, was the single blue diamond an impulse buy?? Your last tank was strictly 2 species, how come you didn't go back with a single or two species tank??
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    question, was the single blue diamond an impulse buy?? Your last tank was strictly 2 species, how come you didn't go back with a single or two species tank??
    I couldn't make up my mind about the colours since there were so many Jacklyn .
    I ended up feeling like a kid with M&Ms and bought a mix of 5 different strains .
    Other important reason was also my wife's begging /(bugging) me for blue diamond and pigeons for quite some time
    On their growing up I will have to let go of 4-5 of them and maybe than I will decide to keep a 2 strains tank again , but only time will tell .
    Last edited by Filip; 03-08-2017 at 06:37 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Really nice Filip

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Really nice Filip
    Thanks Ryan .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

really beautiful and colorful pictures there filip, what lighting system do you use on this tank?
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    really beautiful and colorful pictures there filip, what lighting system do you use on this tank?
    Thanks Jacklyn . I use T5- HO - tubes with reflectors .
    They are proven to be effective and cheap for plant growth so that's why I choose them a couple years ago .
    I got 3 x 54 watt tubes with 3 different Kelvin range 3000K - yellow , 6500K daylight and 8900 ice white to make the colours look more vibrant and real .

Registered Member

Great Filip, will follow this thread

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Looking good Filip.
    I think growing out juvenile discus is lots of fun....Lots of work, but lots of fun. Its great being in a position where you can determine how they grow out, and enjoy seeing it. Will be eagerly following this thread. Good luck.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Looking good Filip.
    I think growing out juvenile discus is lots of fun....Lots of work, but lots of fun. Its great being in a position where you can determine how they grow out, and enjoy seeing it. Will be eagerly following this thread. Good luck.
    Thanks Joe . im excited for sure because i have never before raised discus from less than 2 inch size . Its definitely a lots of work and care but its a new and refreshing experience for me and it is fun to watch them grow from Null. Im sure it will get more and more interesting once they start colouring up .

Here is a one week in their new home update pic and video :

IMG-1489241805410-V.jpg

Last edited by Filip; 07-18-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast