ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help picking the right lighting

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Need help picking the right lighting

The water is pretty murky in the Amazon and tributaries in which discus are native, so I am dubious on the need for an expensive light fixture for discus health. Unless, you have a planted tank, I think you guys are overdoing it. Discus do not love bright light.

This is what I use. Can can adjust the color temperature and has some interesting presets. The only thing it is lacking that I wish it had is a ramp up timer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Aquask...aquarium+light

Real Name
    Jason

Default Re: Need help picking the right lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    The water is pretty murky in the Amazon and tributaries in which discus are native, so I am dubious on the need for an expensive light fixture for discus health. Unless, you have a planted tank, I think you guys are overdoing it. Discus do not love bright light.

This is what I use. Can can adjust the color temperature and has some interesting presets. The only thing it is lacking that I wish it had is a ramp up timer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Aquask...aquarium+light
    Ramp up and, more so down, would be awesome! In my opinion with Discus, a deal breaker on lighting. My cheap lights don't have that.

Have a read of that article about Redox, it's pretty interesting. You'll see that it's not the brightness of the light, as much as the wavelengths that are important, and they can help with the `actual water chemistry`, which is unseen. Of course, they can help with photosynthesis as well if you have a few plants, you don't need a heavily planted tank to have that in mind. I'm not trying to argue or anything, the OP clearly wants bang for the buck. But it's interesting to consider, and I didn't have anyone bringing up these things when I chose lighting, which I would have appreciated in hindsight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12