NADA     Australian Blackworms

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 220g Wild Blue Discus tank

iTrader
    Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: 220g Wild Blue Discus tank

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    No autodrip, just filled it up before I left. Pretty heavy filtratin, 50w UV, 5 big canisters and a fluidized sand filter. Main reason for the water quality in my opinion are the floaters an/or plant roots I have growing into the tank, on all 3 tanks in fact. I usually only do water changes when the water level grts too low for my liking (aesthetically). Usually every 2-4 weeks, depending on which tank/cover it is. The blues lose the most water as the cover is quite perforated from the factory. The other 2 are custom made and don't allow for a lot of evaporation.
    What plants do you have in the tank now? Types? What do you do to prep them for the tank? I am thinking about trying this... Like I said I am going away. I am tempted to add some this week but worried if something were to go wrong and I am not arround. May just look into it and do it down the line...

iTrader
    Real Name
    Tobi

I've got pothos and Pennywort in this one, water lettuce with the greens an philodendron +pothos with the heckels.
    No special prep, rinse well and chuck in

iTrader
    Real Name
    Phil

Thanks for the info! Do you find you like or prefer one plant over the other, or that ones do a better job? Or are they all equal in that regard and its just personal preference and look

Homesteader
    iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Greg Biggiani

nice, love the setup. good luck

iTrader
    Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Thanks for the info! Do you find you like or prefer one plant over the other, or that ones do a better job? Or are they all equal in that regard and its just personal preference and look
    I don't have any hard data, but the water quality seems to be the same with either. Pistia can be messy, as they restrict surface movement and they collect a bit of gunk between them.

Looks wise they really work though, and the fish seem to appreciate the cover.

Pothos is just a means to an end, I don't like the way their leaves look, makes me think of Chinese restaurant decor. So I only have the roots growing in and I hide the leaves as best I can.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345