AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Leaky Forty Hex

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan Macaluso

Unhappy Leaky Forty Hex

Howdy Folks,

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this post has been covered before. If so please direct me. I have a forty gallon Oceanic Hex. I recently tried to set up after it had been sitting empty for several years. Since setting up a couple of months ago, it has busted several seems. Upon close inspection, noticed that one of the six sides is not in full contact with the stand. The base of the stand and the majority of the stand is level but one of the boards is sagging and no longer makes contact with the tank. The gap is minuscule (about one or two mm) but I suppose that must be enough to cause the seems to give way??? I have resealed the aquarium four times now using good quality silicone but it only seems to last a few days to a few weeks. Oddly it is not always the same seam that starts leaking each time.

I have read that putting Styrofoam or rubber between the tank and stand can resolve these problems? Can anyone shed some light on what type of foam or rubber to use? How thick? where can I acquire?

I know it sounds petty but this tank was meant to be a show tank in my living room so aesthetics are very important.

For further information, the tank is glass and does have a plastic rim around the bottom which does elevate the bottom glass off the the stand by about a 20 mm.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan Macaluso

Default Re: Leaky Forty Hex

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan Macaluso

Also, it should be noted that this is a Oceanic Glass aquarium. there is a plastic rim around the base and the bottom glass is not in contact with the stand. Will foam even help in this case?

I have looked at the leaky seam and it appears the joint is no longer glued as pressure placed midway up will cause the panel to bow and slightly separate. Will resealing fix this or should the panel be fully taken apart and rebuilt and then resealed? Is all of that worth it or should I scrap the tank?

Registered Member

Welcome to the forum,
    How many gallons is the tank? I always use foam on frameless tanks, but not on framed tanks. I would try a wooden wedge to make contact between the tank and the stand. If you can cut all the caulk out of the leaking side I would try just reselling that side, if not I would either take the tank apart and reassemble or throw it away depending on the replacement cost,
    Ron