AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Advice for cutting fluval 406 hosing and attaching rubber adapter

Registered Member

Default Advice for cutting fluval 406 hosing and attaching rubber adapter

Hi, i am wanting to shorten my hosing on my fluval 406 filter as it has a biggish s bend in it, if you look on the below pic i have circled the rubber adapters, can anyone tell me how easy it is to get these off and then get them back on after i have cut the hosing to a better size?

https://imgur.com/a/ldO7z

I am really nervous about doing it incase it doesnt go to plan, the rubber adapters appeared to be fixed on i thought, but i have read that they should screw on and off, is that right?

thanks for any help

James

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Advice for cutting fluval 406 hosing and attaching rubber adapter

my fluval had fixed ones but i cut them off and put new ones on the cut ends, i picked them up on ebay. i had to get a strong guy to help me and cuz they were difficult yo get on the ribbed hose, vegetable oil helped

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

*** mine was a fluval 490 series

Real Name
    Eric

I would use this as an opportunity to switch to regular canister tubing.

Registered Member

What would be the reason? Is there any on Amazon you would recommend? How do I fix the rubber adapters to it, in the same way?

Real Name
    Eric

Something like this, you don't need the rubber adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Eheim-AEH4005...s=eheim+tubing

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

What is the main reason you want to shorten your existing tubes? They look perfectly fine to me
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

I was getting a lot of crap coming out of the outlet after cleaning the tank and filter so had to be in the hosing, also my tank come with the 306 filter with the built in outlet and inlet tubes, so when I upgraded to the 406 filter it created a much bigger bend in the hosing which I assume is because the 40 filter is higher, I also get a little water spilling out of the filter when I take the aquastop of the filter to clean it, which I'm also guessing is because of water lagging behind in the s bend, does that sound right?

James

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Shortening the hose will not make a impact on the amount of buildup coated on the inside of the hoses. Everytime you restart the flow it will push out a little. I think you might be making more work for yourself than needed.

Dont cut your hose to stop the gunk build up. I had 2 306's and had the same issue. I wound up ordering a second set of hoses and just alternated them when I cleaned the filters monthly. Keep a clean set ready to go! In my opinion Fluvals ribbed hose design is not good, too much gunk gets trapped in those grooves. I finally bit the bullet and replaced my two Fluvals with Eheim Pr 4+ and have no regrets, much better filter IMHO.

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Dam777 View Post
    ....In my opinion Fluvals ribbed hose design is not good, too much gunk gets trapped in those grooves. I finally bit the bullet and replaced my two Fluvals with Eheim Pr 4+ and have no regrets, much better filter IMHO.
    This is why I advised to go with standard tubing. That fluval tubing gets massively gunked up in a simple community tank, I can only imagine the stuff growing in there if it is attached to a discus tank. Biofilm will still grow in the smooth tubing, and will flow into your tank after canister maintenance, but at no where near the same quantities.

BTW, I always place a filter sock over the outflow when restarting my canisters after maintenance. This catches all the bacteria and biofilm buildup so it doesn't go all over the tank upon restart.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    *** mine was a fluval 490 series
    sorry typo meant 300 series