ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Raising GBR

Real Name
    Steve

Default Raising GBR

I have a 55 planted experiment going, that is, I have no previous experience trying to keep plants. The tank has a GBR pair, corys, and several different groups of dithers. The rams have spawned. They watched over the eggs for a couple days, I saw wigglers, and now whoever's left, I think they are guarding in a plant. I don't expect much survival in this situation, but wondering, if I wanted to try to raise a batch, what would be the best environment? I've got 29's I could use. Should I plant them, bare bottom,..?
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Default Re: Raising GBR

I've breed GBR for years now. For me, most GBR pairs are terrible parents. They will get to 2 or 3 days free swimming and then they will eat them. They are easy to raise without the parents and I find this is the best way go. Place a 4" terra cotta saucer upside down in the tank. I have found they will always lay eggs on these if they are present. Once they lay eggs simply pull the saucer and put it in a container of your choice. I have used the plastic shoe boxes. I like to place some java moss in with the eggs. Then change water a couple of times a day. They will eat bbs. If tank space isn't a problem, my preference is to just pull the parents from the tank. I use 20 gallon tanks for my GBR but even a 10 would do. Like discus, once they start laying eggs they will continue regularly.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Larry! Great info. Now I just need to figure out if I want to get into that or not.

Real Name
    Steve

So, my pair are on their 2nd or 3rd try and I've added extra plant cover. I'm still just seeing what I can let happen in the tank. The fry look smaller than discus fry. Third day free swimming and still quite small. Are they ready for BBS?

I feed bbs from the start with no problem.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Ryan

I agree with larry. Years of ram breeding here & i steal the eggs and arti raise them. Good luck. Parent raising gbr would be a sight.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?