AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from Malaysia

Registered Member

Default Newbie from Malaysia

post-635034-1489300475.jpg

Hi, just setup my first 60 gallon discus tank. the fish are inside for about 3 weeks.

can i add more discus to the tank?

currently they're on frozen blood worms, tetrabits, and i'm doing 50% water change daily.

Are my discus stunted? did an online purchase from a fish store so couldn't really pick them. They cost around RM20 (4.50 USD) each, i guess there's a reason why there're so cheap.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Newbie from Malaysia

The eye to body height ratio doesn't look bad, so I'd say they're not yet stunted. Keep up the water changes and cleanup after feeding and they should do well. The usual guideline around here is 10 gallons for each adult fish. Yours are juvies, so you could put in more while they grow out, but of course the bio-load will be higher and you might need to change more water. It's also recommended to quarantine new fish for up to six weeks before mixing with your others, so that's a consideration too. I think you've got a good number there already.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

are the diet i provide them now good enough? Thinking to add in beef heart pellets, replacing tetrabits

Real Name
    Steve

The blood worms are mostly water and considered more of a treat around here rather than a good staple food. Many folks use a beefheart mix, or flake, or pellet. I really like freeze dried blackworms. High protein and not messy. Al, the forum owner sells them in the US, not sure where you'd get them in Malaysia.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    The blood worms are mostly water and considered more of a treat around here rather than a good staple food. Many folks use a beefheart mix, or flake, or pellet. I really like freeze dried blackworms. High protein and not messy. Al, the forum owner sells them in the US, not sure where you'd get them in Malaysia.
    +1 I would think you should he able to get Forrest's aquabits there in Malaysia

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Can you post some more pictures?

I wouldn't add anymore if I were you, but that is your call, as mentioned above QT FOR SURE!

Registered Member

Will be visiting a local discus farm tomorrow and let's see what they have in stock. Looking to add some red colors into the tank.
    Max I will add is another 4 more .
    Guess I cannot skip my daily wc if I add in more fish. The current guys are always hungry.

Already got in touch with Forrest about the pellet. Will try them out.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Quote Originally Posted by Monocle View Post
    Will be visiting a local discus farm tomorrow and let's see what they have in stock. Looking to add some red colors into the tank.
    Guess I cannot skip my daily wc if I add in more fish. The current guys are always hungry.

Good luck at the farm! Sounds fun! So right now you have 10 in a 60? Again you can add 4 more, but yes, you will need to be very diligent with water changes. The other thing is, adding 4 new ones could harm the existing group or stress the new fish and cause illness or disease. Do you have another tank to QT the new arrivals?

Are Forrest's fish available locally ? Many of us have Forrest's fish by way of Kenny

Registered Member

Sadly, The fish are for exports only.

Registered Member

Yes. I have another 30 gallon for quarantine.. gonna quarantine them for around 3 to 4 weeks..

Hopefully the farm allow walk in customers.. as I know they supply lfs and exports.

Sadly, The fish are for exports only.
    Ah that's kinda what I thought. Would have been pretty cool to get some from the man himself.

Registered Member

Wanna ask about tetrabit. Will it cause blue diamonds to become reddish?

Wanna ask about tetrabit. Will it cause blue diamonds to become reddish?
    I have been feeding it for a little while now and my cobalt, scorpion and neon sapphire are still a brilliant blue color. I think it's more or an issue for yellow or white discus but I could be wrong

Real Name
    Filip

post-635034-1489300475.jpg

Hi, just setup my first 60 gallon discus tank. the fish are inside for about 3 weeks.

can i add more discus to the tank?

currently they're on frozen blood worms, tetrabits, and i'm doing 50% water change daily.

Are my discus stunted? did an online purchase from a fish store so couldn't really pick them. They cost around RM20 (4.50 USD) each, i guess there's a reason why there're so cheap.
    Hi and welcome Monocle .
    Your discus look decent from this picture . Did you bought them from a local breeder ? If so ask him about their current age , and that will give you better picture of their growth potential. 5 dollars for this discus is a steal anyway .

Don't loose the tetrabits from their diet , just try to add more proteins such as messy : Beefheart , shrimps , salmon or cleaner choice -the FDWB .

What's your final goal with this tank ?
    Are you planing to keep them Barebottom , or do you plan to add sand , decor , plants and other fish once they grow?
    If you go BB your max. Can be pushed to 10 discus with diligent daily care , but if you plan community tank with sand bottom limit your self to max.6 for the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast