ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Microscopes

Lilyann

Default Microscopes

I was hoping to get some ideas about brands/models of microscopes that members use for parasitic/disease identification. I looked on Amazon, but feel overwhelmed by all the models and options. Thank you.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Microscopes

I have not used a microscope to study discus pathogens, but I did use microscopes early in my profession and I taught General Microbiology in college. So here's my take on it.

You don't need to see bacteria, so you don't need a scope with a 100X lens (1,000X magnification with eyepiece). Bacteria can be barely seen with stains and it's going to be pretty tough to identify anything - other than a round one versus a rod type. Instead, most people use scopes to look at parasites, which are multicellular, and occasionally protozoans, which are also fairly large. So a microscope with a 40X lens (400X magnification with eyepiece) is more than sufficient. Most of the time, the 15X lens (150X total magnification) is just fine.

Unless you're trained to use a microscope, a binocular scope (two eyes) will be much easier to use. Much, much easier. A scope with a built in light source is highly preferred, because it eliminates the adjustments needed for maximum clarity. (I use to teach a 1.5 hour class just on adjusting microscopes.) Finally, one with a digital port that allows you to export the image is more useful in this day and age.

Microscopes that work well are very expensive. You might want to check on craigslist.com or eBay for better deals.

Hope that helps, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Lilyann

Default Re: Microscopes

Thank you Willie- your response gives me everything that I need to make an educated choice. I appreciate your advice and will let you know what I decide on ( if you would like me to, of course)!!