AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tranquility

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Tranquillity

You've done a fantastic job.....nothing beats discus in a nicely planted tank. Well done!
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Jason

Incredible tank. Thanks for showing us! You're skilled with the plants and the fish are beautiful.

I don't know about the netting idea, the fish might get caught up in it.

Real Name
    Matt

Netting should be fine, it's fine enough that those fish won't get caught in it. Stretch it tight and use window frame or similar material to hold it and stuff will bounce right off of it. If you are extra handy you can buy more of the rim and do cut outs along the back for equipment like those light bars so the net top slides right on from the front and can sit fairly flat on the tank. Can also put a vertical piece on the sides just to lip over the tank so it doesn't slide and create gaps on top.

I use something like this for both of my rimless tanks, only really cover them when I leave the house and during the day at work. You can get thinner mesh too.
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aq...4-netting.html
    -Matt

Registered Member

Thank you for your kind words and tip on the netting. That contraption looks really interesting.

I wouldn't say that I am skilled with plants or discus. I kinda just use the easiest plants that can adapt to low lights (lesser algae ) and relatively high temperatures that would suit the discus.

Some of the plants just did not work out in the tank. I did spend a fair bit of effort to adjust the co2, light and fertiliser regime balanced to get as little algae as possible.

As for discus keeping skills, this is only my 1st month ever. So I have a long way to go. But they got passed the first month fairly ok with no casualties to the existing fishes. I can't ask for a better start!
    Last edited by SGDiscus; 03-15-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Registered Member

Very nice!!!

Registered Member

Nice tank, what are your water prameters, water change regime, filtration and what do you feed them?

Registered Member

@Davidzil @plecocicho
    Thanks!

At the moment, pH is about 7. I am waiting for the components to calibrate my pH pen. But last I checked, pH goes down to about 6.7/6.8 with CO2.

I don't measure TDS. My gh is around 9/10, kH is around 2/3 (based on Colombo test kits). Nitrites and Ammonia is 0. Nitrates is around 20 to 30ppm. Phosphate is less than 1 ppm.

I have been changing 50% water twice a week. I feed 1 or 2 pieces of frozen beefheart (formulated by a well-known discus LFS in my area) twice a day. Each piece is no more than 10 grams. (Around 1 square inch).

I have a 3ft sump with more than 40 litres of media. For added measure, I am also running a small internal filter inside the sump in case I need it for a QT.

That's just horrible. How about you just put the whole tank in my house and try again

Really looks good SG . Hope to see more posts of it over time. Very jealous (obviously!)
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    That's just horrible. How about you just put the whole tank in my house and try again

Really looks good SG . Hope to see more posts of it over time. Very jealous (obviously!)
    Haha.. Thanks! Here you go.... waiting for their food.

2017-03-17 22.04.57.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SGDiscus; 03-17-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Rotated the photo to upright position.

Real Name
    Filip

This is one of the best planted display tanks I've seen on the forum lately SG. The name tranquillity suits it perfectly too.
    Your discus are perfect shape and i love the uniform size of the whole batch too .

I would like you to give us a full info on your tank when youll have some spare time by filling up the tank questionaire found in the begginer section stickies .
    Im curious if you have done a proper quarantine procedure prior introducing your discus or did you just put them directly in your display tank ?
    How long did it took them to adjust and start eating and swimming ?

Im also curious about the CO2 injection you use . How do match your tap water PH with your lowered Co2 Ph during changes ? Do you turn off the co2 at night or use a ph controller ?
    What type of water do you use for waterchanges RO , tap or aged ?

Sorry about all this questions SG but im very curious about your tank and keeping routines because it sure is a succesfull story so far .
    After making all of us here planted tank lovers completly envyous of your tank and discus with your pics i think you owe us much more info about it . And regular updates , offcourse .

That is just stunning...even the composition of the fish swimming in the photo is perfectly balanced. Just wow!

Funny thing about the rimless and jumping. I am looking into getting a rimless reef tank and there was a beautiful one set up at a nearby reef shop. I asked the owner- How do you keep the fish from jumping out?" He was quite for a minute and then he said "I don't." I waited patiently for more of an answer as I looked at the expensive fish gliding around...and then he said with a wry smile "I just don't put fish in there that jump." He must have been asked that question more than a few times.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

@Filip @Jenene

Thank you. I am humbled. This is because I have learnt alot about discus from this forum. I have never kept discus before and I have read alot about the pros and cons of keeping discus with plants. From the tips here and also speaking to various discus owners, I went about planning this tank almost one year ago after I have decided to decommissioned my two feet planted tank. I have had planted tanks for more than 10 years.

I will find time and try to put down as much information as possible about this tank and my observations (both the good and the bad). At this moment, the discus had only been in the tank for a month and while they are healthy I am still concern about my discus keeping skills. This is because I have not yet fully understood their behaviours. My family had already noted that our 7 seven discus each has unique personality and had already given them names. My mum calls them puppies...

Without further ado, here's one I took on Sunday.

20170323_104958.jpg

Registered Member

Here's a view of
    1. Big Black (alpha), centre top.
    2. Black Eye (No 2), bottom right and
    3. Strippy (No 7)

Ps:can someone please adviced me on how to rotate the image? The forum would not allow me to attached the rotated image from my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Filip; 03-23-2017 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Spelling and trying to rotate image.

Real Name
    Filip

Please do fill the questionnaire SG and give us more info on this beauty .
    About the pics , I have try to reattach it rotated in your post from my phone and it worked for me . Unfortunately I wasnt able to delete your backward photo from your post .

Next time if it gives you trouble uploading any photo try to edit some feature on the photo , colour , balance , brightness etc. and upload the edited version instead .
    That gets the job done , at least for me .

Real Name
    Jason

The phone has an auto-rotate feature, you need to turn it off so you can tell which way around the picture is before you upload it.
    To delete the duplicate attachment you have to go into `Manage Attachments`.
    Last edited by JBurgo; 03-23-2017 at 06:55 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast