AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tranquility

Registered Member

Default Re: Tranquillity

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Please do fill the questionnaire SG and give us more info on this beauty .
    About the pics , I have try to reattach it rotated in your post from my phone and it worked for me . Unfortunately I wasnt able to delete your backward photo from your post .

Next time if it gives you trouble uploading any photo try to edit some feature on the photo , colour , balance , brightness etc. and upload the edited version instead .
    That gets the job done , at least for me .
    Thanks! Funny thing is I am not able to edit my own post.

Anyway for the questionnaire, should I post it in this thread or in the Beginner Tank setup thread?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by SGDiscus View Post
    Thanks! Funny thing is I am not able to edit my own post.

Anyway for the questionnaire, should I post it in this thread or in the Beginner Tank setup thread?
    I think that you got a time frame of 10-15 min. to correct or edit your postings SG .After that what's done is done.
    So a wise thing to do is review your postings once again , right away after you post them and see if there is anything to correct in this 10 min. time frame.

You can post the Full tank specification where ever you think is more convinient for you SG .
    You can proceed in this thread , or open a completely new thread in this or in "our tank journals" section.
    Since there are already many comments and post here in this thread , maybe its better to proceed here , but feel free to decide that for your self .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I think that you got a time frame of 10-15 min. to correct or edit your postings SG .After that what's done is done.
    So a wise thing to do is review your postings once again , right away after you post them and see if there is anything to correct in this 10 min. time frame.

You can post the Full tank specification where ever you think is more convinient for you SG .
    You can proceed in this thread , or open a completely new thread in this or in "our tank journals" section.
    Since there are already many comments and post here in this thread , maybe its better to proceed here , but feel free to decide that for your self .
    Thank you! I shall bear that in mind.

With regards to the questionnaire, I wanted to make sure that I did not contravene any accepted practices. I would like to take your suggestion to post in here as there have been a few questions about the tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

SG- Despite what Dilip says, please do not post anymore pictures....

I can't afford to keep replacing my keyboard as it gets fried from all my DROOL when I see your tank!!

DRRRRROOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!

Registered Member

This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
    be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

< Hi everyone, sorry for this slightly overdue introduction. But since I have gained much from this forum, it is about time I try to put back some knowledge so that we can encourage more people to have discus planted tanks. In order to do that, I thought it might be useful to share what I have done in fishkeeping/plant keeping hobby so that we can put into the correct context as to why I started this tank the way I did.

I had maintained a 2 feet hi-tech planted tank for about 10 years. In that tank, I have kept mostly cardinals, cories and shrimps. I also tried breeding bettas but stopped as it became too much work. In this 2 feet hi-tech planted tank, I have used ADA soil, Eheim Pro 2 and Pro 3 canisters, T5 lights with timer and pressurised CO2. Generally, I was able to maintain a balanced system with water change once a week at 50% with minimal greenspot algae.

Once I was comfortable with my plant keeping skills, I moved on to keeping slightly more exotic fishes that would go with planted tanks. Cories were one of my favourites... and they still are. Once I had a school of 30 hastatus cories and they were really a sight to behold.... but very fragile. I then moved on to various types of killie fishes. The priority then was to maintain an ecosystem that took no more than 30mins of my time in a week to maintain as I had young children and a busy work schedule.

Now that the kids had turned into monstrous teenagers and are almost out of my house... I have abit more 'me' time. At the same time, my house was due a renovation update and I talked my wife into having a nice 'planted show tank' in the dining room. That was how I ended up with a 150 cm (L) x 55 cm (H) x 60 cm (D). More about that later.

Believe it or not, the idea was mooted back in Dec 2015! I spent six months looking around doing research on a 150 cm (almost 5 feet) long planted tank. I definitely did not want to spend my whole weekend scrubbing algae off the tank. At that point, the dream was to have 100 cardinals and all sorts of cories/plecos in the tank. I always loved the tranquillity of watching a large school of cardinals and the playfulness of cories.

It was right around this time I started to come across pictures/images of discus in planted tanks. That was when the discus love-bug hit me. In my younger days, I have always stayed away from discus because of their reputation for having 100% daily WCs. But this time, given that I was able to dedicate abit more time (the plan was 1 hour a week), I decided to give discus a go. That's when I came upon SimplyDiscus.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

< I think I might have read at least 70 to 80% of the stickies in this forum especially in the Planted/Show Tank, Discus Basics for Beginners, From the Source: Amazon and Disease/Sickness. I also spend some time visiting the various discus breeders in Singapore (where I lived).

The original plan was to go for Tiger Turquoise or Albino Leopard Snakeskins. However, I chanced upon a tank of wilds in one of the LFS... and as they say... the rest is history.

Besides reading, I also spoke to a couple of guys who had experienced with Wilds. Once I have decided to go Wilds, the next stage was to plan for the tank and the 'look' of the tank.

I also spent a few amount of time researching on hi-tech planted setup with a sump tank. This is because in the world of planted tanks... having a sump is not a commonly taken route as plant keepers are always concern about CO2 loss. For me, I had to balance between having a good filtration system and having healthy plants.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

So I customised made the tank to 150cm (L), 55 cm (H), 60 cm (D). The reason for 55 cm H was because I wanted to be able to reach into the tank for easy maintenance and scrubbing of the tank. The thickness of the glass (iron-free or crystal glass) is 15mm as I wanted it to be rimless (despite knowing that discus could be jumpers but more about that later) for the look and aquascape in mind.

The tank was setup in Jun 2016. The first fishes 10 x leopard cories, 10 x amano shrimps and 10 x otos went in around Jul 2016.

Filip had asked whether was the discus quarantined before being introduced into the main tank. Actually, I treated my main tank as the quarantine tank for all the fishes that I wanted to keep and the Wild Discus would be the last group of fishes to be introduced into the tank. The idea was to let all the other fishes settle down first before introducing the Wild Discus.

As for the Wild Discus, it was in my LFS tank for two whole weeks in which I was able to pop in unannounced after work to take a look at them. The seller is a professional. He was feeding the discus with beef heart and changing water on a daily basis while the discus was with them the entire two weeks. I continued to send him pictures of the discus once it was in my tank.

The discus was eating beefheart the next day after they were introduced into my tank. I fed them the same beefheart as the seller. Initially, I also feed frozen bloodworms and Australian freezed dried blackworms.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

I decided against soil. This is after reading on the forums and talking to a few discus owners. In addition, I have had years of experience using ADA soil and I know the kind of muck that can kick up after a few years in the tank. I definitely did not want that in a discus tank. I also had a bit of re-scaping my tank once every few years to change the look. It can get quite messy.

In addition, I selected plants such as Amazon swords, anbuias nana plants, lotus and Java Ferns that would tolerate the high temperatures. Getting bucephalandras was abit of a mistake in a discus tank but that was the 'plant-keeper' in me that did the call. The buceps are getting by but not thriving as I had to reduced fertilizers and these plants really need lower temperatures to thrive.

Amazon swords are there to keep the sand aerated. Java ferns and anbuias nanas to provide the shape and feel of the scape. Key is getting a nice drift wood. The consideration of the scape was to (1) allow me to easily mopped down the side of the tank during water change, (2) breakline of sight as I was told discus can get aggressive towards each other and (3) provide some shade for the discus.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

Water change is twice a week at 50%. The pH right out from my municipal water is around 7. Gh is around 8/9 and Kh is around 2/3. So water hardness is around medium. I don't age my water.

During water change, I would use a tub as the holding point where I mixed Prime and piped the water direct from the tap via a python into the tub. From the tub, I would use a pump to pushed the water from the tub into the tank. It takes about 1 hour just to fill up 50% of my tank. So that's around 200 litres in 1 hour.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

The sump tank is 90 cm (L), 50cm (H) but water level at 30cm , 45cm (D). When power stopped, the sump is sufficient capacity to hold all the overflows. I do not have a heater at the moment. The water temperature in my tank ranges from 26 Degrees Celsius (78.8F) to 28 Degrees Celsius (82.4 F). As my tank is indoor with no direct sunlight, the temperature remains relatively constant except it gets abit colder during thunderstorms.

Otherwise humidity in Singapore is between 45% (night) to 90% (day). Average temperature in the day can go as high as 34 Degrees Celsius (93.2). One of the discus owners I know in Singapore keeps his discus outdoor in his backyard with some shades. He has no heaters in his tank.... rain or shine. If I get permission from him, I will post his set up here. He has some really huge (8 inch) Tiger Turquoises.

As for lighting, I am using two pieces of Aqua Illumination Prime. The light setting is at 70% from 3pm to 8pm. From 8pm to 10pm, it will run down from 70% to 1% Red LED. From 10pm to 7am, it will maintain at 1% Red LED. From 7am to 9am at 0% LED. From 9am to 3pm, it will move to 2% Cool Light LED so that the discus are not disoriented by movement outside the tank.

So far this setting had been good for plant growth, minimising algae and also minimising startling the discus during movement in and out of the dining area.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp

78.8F to 82.4F

- tank ph

7.2 (with 200grams of oyster shells) and 6.8 with CO2.

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap

- ammonia reading - 0

- nitrite reading - 0

- nitrate reading between 20 and 40 ppm.

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

Stocking levels are as follows
    a. 7 x Wild Discus
    b. 5 x cory duplicareus (started with 8 in Aug/Sep 2016 but down to 5 since Dec 2016)
    c. 2 x laser cories (started with 8 in Aug/Sep 2016 but down to 2 since Dec 2016)
    d. 6 x lepoard cories (started with 10 in Aug/Sep 2016 but down 6 since Dec 2016)
    e. 3 x MacMasteri Apistogrammas (1 male, 2 females since Nov 2016)
    f. 1 x L333 (since Jan 2017)
    g. 40 x Golden Tetras (since Jan 2017 amazingly... none have died or been eaten by the discus yet)
    h. Unknown quantities of Amano shrimps (bought 20 x amano shrimps since the Jun 2016 until now)
    i. Unknown quantities of Otos (bought at least 20 but some would have died.)
    j. 3 x scarlet badis (saw only 1)
    k. 1 x sparkling gouramis (started with 3 in Aug/Sep 2016 but 2 died before Dec 2016). These guys are my favourite in controlling snail population.

No more plans to get more fishes.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Feeding frozen beefheart mixture twice a day. Each feed is about 1 square inch of beef no more than 0.25 inch thick. Once a week I will feed Australian FDBW. I have stopped feeding frozen bloodworms after the first week. No live food at all.

Although for the fun of it, I did feed papaya once. Surprisingly, a few of the discus actually ate it.

I have also tried adding orange peels into the sump to stimulate appetite. No conclusion for this method. But I do think that the discus can detect the scent of orange peels in the water.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

The goal is to maintain a show tank in the dining room for family's enjoyment. So far everything is working out as planned.
    Last edited by SGDiscus; 03-23-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Left out some points.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    SG- Despite what Dilip says, please do not post anymore pictures....

I can't afford to keep replacing my keyboard as it gets fried from all my DROOL when I see your tank!!

DRRRRROOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!
    haha.. I think it's Filip...

Real Name
    Filip

Thanks for taking time to share your tank info . and your experience with us SG.
    Interesting story . Now since you've already set up the teaser here , I would love too see more pics from that outdoor tank with 8" Tiger turqs as well as from your previous high tech planted setups you had .

Im all against testing the discus tolerance on daily 3-4 C temperature swings and temps below 26 C on a rainy weather but YMMV .
    Personally I wouldnt allow temp. to drop more than 28 C.

PH controller for your Co2 unit will be also helpful on the long run to saltabilize your PH and avoid daily PH swings .

If your nitrates are 30 ppm without dosing No3 ferts in your tank but solely from disolved organics ,you might consider one more WC during the week .
    Last edited by Filip; 03-24-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Registered Member

@Filip, thank for the tips!

I don't have a pH controller at the moment but the pH drop CO2 is no more than 0.5. A pH controller will be in my shopping list.

As for the water temperature, I was advised that heater is for the QT/HT for now. The temperature fluctuations in my region is not drastic and does not change suddenly as we lived just above the equator.

I went to check the Nitrate test kit. My apologies. My test kit measures in 0, 10 ppm, 20ppm, 50ppm and then 100ppm. It is possible during the measurement i thought it was darker than 20ppm but not yet close to 50ppm. The other gauge is the smell of the water and water clarity. If the water smells beefy or cloudy... I will do a water change.

Here are some of my photos of my previous tanks. Sorry I wasn't as good in taking photos in my earlier years of fish keeping and my plant keeping skills weren't that great.

FB_IMG_1490353311449.jpg

FB_IMG_1490353319477.jpg

FB_IMG_1490353393867.jpg

FB_IMG_1490353426125.jpg

FB_IMG_1490353474147.jpg

FB_IMG_1490353487062.jpg

FB_IMG_1490353494945.jpg

Registered Member

@Filip

As for the Tiger Turqs... you have to wait awhile until he invites me to his house for dinner! But if I will definitely take some photos for you (if he permits).. afterall seeing is believing.

Registered Member

Happy April's Fool!

20170401_204628.jpg

Registered Member

If you are wondering how I got the discus swimming in one direction.... can you spot my secret?

20170401_204729.jpg

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Do you have issues with your duckweed overflowing?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Ain't no foolin' when it comes to that tank! Beauty!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Do you have issues with your duckweed overflowing?

Hmmm not sure what do mean by overflowing. I assume you mean if the duckweeds grow fast and cover the entire surface of the tank. I clear the duckweeds once a week. So I don't really have issues with it. While it is very hard to measure how much nitrates it takes through the roots but I remember reading a study using them as part of a clean up strategies for water treatment.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Ain't no foolin' when it comes to that tank! Beauty!
    Thanks Dude!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast