ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tranquility

Registered Member

Default Tranquility

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking around this forum for awhile. I have been wanting to have wild discus for awhile but never had the courage until now. I had always been a planted tank guy but finally decided to take the plunge to do tank with plants and discus.

Some background to this tank. This is a 5ft tank with a 3 ft sump. It runs pressurised CO2 and with a 5hour photo period. The tank was started in Jun 2016 with various fishes (cories, yamano shrimps, golden tetras) added over a 6 to 7 month period. The wild discus (7 pieces) were finally added in on 17 Feb 2017. So these babies had been with me for just under 1 month. Thanks for viewing! I hope to continue learning from this forum!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Default Re: Tranquillity

My god! Beautiful!!!

What type of wilds are those? Where are you located?

ANy fear in the rimless approach? How tall is that tank? Seems a little short, or the discus are big!

Either way, what a beauty I love it

Real Name
    Matt

Incredible looking tank, great fish too. This is extremely pleasing to my eyes, nice job!!!

What lighting are you running? I like the look and brightness to it.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Thanks!

My LFS told me that they were Jatapu or Japura wild discus (Browns). We can't really be sure as he imported a relatively unknown Brazilian source. I lived in Singapore.

There is a real fear that the discus might do a jumper. To minimise that I had floating plants and also keep very low lights during the night until morning. The only scare I had was during the first time when I introduced freezed dried worms into the tank and placed the cube too high up. The 7 of them went into a feeding frenzy like pirhanas splashing water all over. The tank is 55 cm tall - i had it made that height so that it was easy for me to reach into the tank during maintenance.

The discus are between 4.5 and 5.5 inches.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Incredible looking tank, great fish too. This is extremely pleasing to my eyes, nice job!!!

What lighting are you running? I like the look and brightness to it.

Thanks! I am running Aqua Illumination for the two lights. Admittedly, these lights are more suited for reef tanks.. but since I had them I just made used of them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Thank you for all the info! Really love the tank!

The wilds have a lot of red and striations on them, really pretty! They seem a lot more special than your run of the mill browns! Good LFS you have there they all look healthy and happy!

Yea I would be scared about the top too, but seems you have it under control... maybe a sunked glass top or a simple netting that could be hidden to prevent the fish to jump but not take away from the tank... It is hard with a tank like that it looks so pretty as is but the fear of a jumper would lead me to add something, I think...

Either way, please post more pictures!!!

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

nice tank and nice fish,,, Congrads,,,
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Registered Member
    Real Name
    TONY

Awesome!!!!!!! This is my dream tank. thanks for thew photo.

Real Name
    Eric

Transparent netting is a good idea, although, if this were my tank there would be no risk of fish death by suicidal leap because I could never take my eyes off it. Beautifully setup! Great choice of fish

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Thank you for all the info! Really love the tank!

The wilds have a lot of red and striations on them, really pretty! They seem a lot more special than your run of the mill browns! Good LFS you have there they all look healthy and happy!
    Thanks! To be honest... we think they are S.Haraldi. Depending on the amount of horizontal striations they have on their bodies... they are then labelled browns (with little striations, semi-royal with half the body covered or royal with the entire body covered.

Nevertheless... I just enjoy appreciating the discus as they are.

Registered Member

Thank you all for your advice on the netting. I will look into it. Meanwhile.. let me try to share some photos.

Registered Member

downloadfile-1.jpg

Picture above - This was what the scape looked like in Jun 2016.

Registered Member

20161003_201045.jpg

The picture above was how it looked like after I added more plants in Oct 2016.

Registered Member

20170116_183808.jpg

This picture was taken in Jan 2017 with the 40 golden tetrA schooling. At this point, the scape is still the centre piece of the tank.... until....

Registered Member

*deleted* double post.
    Last edited by SGDiscus; 03-14-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Was a double post. Sorry, I had no idea how it happened.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast