ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: what ppm of ammo for fish less cycle

Registered Member

Default what ppm of ammo for fish less cycle

i am gonna have 6- 3'' discus in a 29gal QT tank. what PPM of ammonia is sufficient for no or minimal spikes when cycled? i know zero in the tank but i mean what i can cycle in 24hrs. i am aiming for 4ppm. AND once QT is done can i take that media and add it to my current filter?

Default Re: what ppm of ammo for fish less cycle

That's an interesting question - I'm with you, I think 4 ppm is a good mark to shoot from for clearing up within 24 hours, but you might get by ok with 3 ppm. I don't know how much ammonia is produced by 6 - 3" discus, but I don't believe it can be more in a day that the bb colony can't handle at either level - assuming that's what you're asking & I haven't missed the point.

And assuming the QT turned up no problems when completed, you can add that media to your current filter if you wish, but it may be somewhat redundant from a nitrifying standpoint.
    Your existing nitrifying bacteria level should be able to quickly catch up to the bio-load and deal with it.
    What's the current bio-load in your main tank?.
    Any other views on this ?
    Last edited by discuspaul; 03-14-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I have tried to get a sense of the amount of ammonia produced, and I agree with Paul that 3ppm/day should be enough in that fish-per gallon ratio. If you had a 60g tank then 1.5ppm/day would be the equivalent. 4ppm would definitely cover it. Of coarse these estimates assume that you keep the tank & filter fairly clean.

Registered Member

Paul its always a pleasure getting an answer from some well known Simply experts. you answered just what i was asking. they will end up in a 75g with 5 GBR, 22 cardinals and 3 cory cats. i do have some low light plants in that tank and rarely see more than 10ppm nitrates at my weekly wc. yes wc will change once the discus go in. i will continue on with 4ppm ammo. right now i can turn 4ppm in 48 hrs to 0.25ppm but I'm waiting on nitrites to settle. they were just off the chart at over 5ppm and i just did a wc, and the nitrates were at at 80ppm at the same time. i just reduced ammo to 4ppm. i will see where i am at tomorrow. I'm getting there. i hope to make Kennys april shipment. thanks Paul

Registered Member

Sorry i haven't figured out the multi quote but thats another thread. same to you DJW, greatly appreciate the quick detailed answer. sometimes i think i look too much into this stuff and you all are here with the answers. Oohh the tanks are clean. I'm obsessed with these tanks and thats why I'm getting into discus. i think i can handle it. with some questions along the way of course. 4ppm is what i will aim for. thanks for breaking that down too, that stuff helps