AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Portland OR Water Source Change

Real Name
    Eric

Default Portland OR Water Source Change

FYI to fellow Portland Discus keepers.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen..._will_onc.html

The bull run water is much softer, and about 1.4 points lower in pH (8.1 vs 6.7). Ease your discus into this new water, keep an eye on your parameters. The switch to groundwater was very abrupt for me even though the water bureau claim the change would be gradual.

Also, a large dose of chloramine will likely be used when the switch is made to clean the pipes and valves that have laid dormant for a couple months.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Portland OR Water Source Change

Congratulations on the return of your great water! Our local city water also comes from a spring source, although it's treated, but I'm on a well and don't get it. Too bad, it would make water changes easier if I could use straight tap for everything. They found old lead pigtail pipes in some areas of the city this past year, so I don't mind the well water too much.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Eric

Thanks Steve, My fish and I have definitely been anxiously anticipating the return of our regular water source... I will miss the additional KH, but it is also nice to know that ammonia or nitrite toxicity is less of a risk in case of a spike.

Unfortunately, Portland is discussing a plan to buffer up the water significantly in order to reduce acid-water corrosion of lead pipes. They are discussing adding CO2 or sodium carbonate.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes, that was the problem here. The soft spring water corrodes the lead, and the water dept didn't think they had any lead pipes and then they found some and tried to cover it up. A political mess.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.