AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: EShopps Eclipse overflow review

Default EShopps Eclipse overflow review

Thought I would put this in the general section since maybe newbies don't head to the filtration section.
    Let me start by saying, I don't work for Eshopps, was not asked to do this---I paid for this out of my own pocket and ordered from
    Foster and Smith.

I'm a fan of drilled tanks, they are just so much easier to deal with. So this requires an overflow. Last year I spent about 10 hours designing/CADing in internal weir and overflow for a bean animal. The acrylic, hole saw and bulkhead cost me around $100.
    I cut it all up and glued it up and installed it and it is still working great. But I wasn't sure I wanted to do it again.

I looked at them all, Glass Holes, CPR, etc etc. They seemed really spendy for what you get! Then I found the Eclipse. Price was right, $119 for the large. It includes a plexiglass hole template all the bulkheads, gaskets, emergency overflow pipe and the hole saw.

The packing is excellent, no scratches, no dings well packed!
    The construction is top notch looks like 1/4" plexiglass on all the parts. Edges are all flame polished and the glue has no crazing.

This unit looks well worth the $119 and is probably the best thing going for overflows of this size! I'm impressed! Can't wait to install it. Shouldn't take much, just drill the holes and attach.

The only thing I see is that the internal weir has notches that may make the water line visible below the rim. I need to dry fit and see. But I have a way to deal with it if it is too low.

Overall I give this unit two thumbs up!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neptune; 03-15-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Default Re: EShopps Eclipse overflow review

I got to fiddling with the overflow box this weekend in preparation for drilling.

The kit comes with a template for drilling, but with the slots in the box it will drop your water line below your trim and you always see your water line....no good!

I want to use the template as you only get one shot at the drilling, so I decided to make the weir adjustable.
    It is hard to see in the pictures, but really simple.

I put two 1/4 nylon bolts throught the last slots in the weir. Then I cut a 1/4" thick piece of black acrylic to cover the slots. Added two holes near the top edge and bamm....adjustable water height.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

That's a great idea about the nylon bolts and the black acrylic to adjust the height. I have the same overflow as you but I couldn't figure out how to get the water level higher than my trim.

I'm also going to mount it with a little leeway so if the the slots should ever plug up and the water has to go over the top it wont flood the tank.