AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best way to store recharged Purigen?

Default Best way to store recharged Purigen?

I run a liter bag of Purigen at a time in my sump and I have just recharged a bag and the other is not ready to come out yet. I remember reading somewhere that you should not let it dry out. Is this true? What is the best way to hold it while I wait for the other bag to be exhausted? Just trying to maximize it's use since it has a limited life span of recharges. Thanks!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Default Re: Best way to store recharged Purigen?

i never read that, and i let it dry out. in fact, i keep it in the garage as it stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i never read that, and i let it dry out. in fact, i keep it in the garage as it stinks.
    It sure does stink! I did notice that when it dries out a powdery substance comes off of it. Not sure if the pellets deteriorate once they are dried back out. Coming out of the jar new- they are kind of moist.

Yes, the Purigen beads do deteriorate and eventually turn to powder (and are then useless) when they dry out.
    You must keep them moist/damp after any re-charge. Either leave them in a bucket of water after rinsing & conditioning with Prime until next usage, or place the rinsed/conditioned damp bag(s) in a zip-lock bag until next use.

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Yes, the Purigen beads do deteriorate and eventually turn to powder (and are then useless) when they dry out.
    You must keep them moist/damp after any re-charge. Either leave them in a bucket of water after rinsing & conditioning with Prime until next usage, or place the rinsed/conditioned damp bag(s) in a zip-lock bag until next use.
    Ah ha! I was not imagining that. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Ah ha! I was not imagining that. Thank you!
    Oh man do they stink. The little lady wasn't too happy to walk in upon opening the first bottle of purigen

I like to store my purigen in my filter

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Oh man do they stink. The little lady wasn't too happy to walk in upon opening the first bottle of purigen

I like to store my purigen in my filter
    You are right Ryan, that is the best place to keep it!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    +1 on the zip lock bag

Didn't know about it deteriorating, mine have dried out at this point. Hope they aren't ruined. I bought in bulk and made my own bags, and don't run it all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Didn't know about it deteriorating, mine have dried out at this point. Hope they aren't ruined. I bought in bulk and made my own bags, and don't run it all at the same time.
    You'll know it soon enough when you next use it.

If it starts to leach dust into your water column, you'll know the beads have broken down to dust and are useless.
    I've even had the beads turn to dust when I left a bag in the bleach water for several days - can't remember how long it was, but it was obviously too long.

well, its in with water now.

does anyone freeze it while storing it to keep it from growing slime bacteria?

I would not freeze it. Just thinking out loud but freezing may break the beads.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I would not freeze it. Just thinking out loud but freezing may break the beads.
    i thought same about it making cracks...and crumbling, but found that idea on fishlore ( i think) when searching on this topic

I keep mine in tap water in a quart jar like used for canning. Seals up well and I just keep them in the cabinet in the laundry room. I have been using the same beads for quite a while now, over a year I think and I have not had issues slime in storage, smell or degradation. Recharged them maybe 6 times? I have a about 1L worth I swap out every couple months and recharge while the other set is in tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    I keep mine in tap water in a quart jar like used for canning. Seals up well and I just keep them in the cabinet in the laundry room. I have been using the same beads for quite a while now, over a year I think and I have not had issues slime in storage, smell or degradation. Recharged them maybe 6 times? I have a about 1L worth I swap out every couple months and recharge while the other set is in tank.
    That is a great tip! You sound very organized I have a bunch of those in the basement. Perfect. Thanks!