AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Aquariums First Time Sump For Dummies

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default Re: Custom Aquariums First Time Sump For Dummies

Every sumps are different designs. I guess you would clean it when it gets dirty looking. My sump I use an 20ppi poret foam pad for prefllter, K-1 micro moving bed filter, next 30ppi poret foam pad, and last a bag of Seachem matrix bio media. So far every six months remove pads and rinse outside. That's all required to keep my sump clean, real simple and easy.....

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post

i clean mine when there is a blockage issue, and that time frame can vary depending on what is happening in main tank. e.g. feeding, plant melts, etc.
    Jack what I am struggling to wrap my head around is what is the difference between build up in substrate in the display tank and build up in the pads in the sump. For some reason it appears that people are less concerned with the sump having a build up in he pads than the same build up in the substrate in the display tank. To combat the build up in the display tank many forum members including myself have switched to a BB display with a sump. Now the water moving thru the pads is going to pull some of the muck and or micro organisms in the pads back into the display tank. Can't believe leaving the pads in the sump for months at a time can be good for the water quality even if the water appears crystal clear.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by gordo33
    Can't believe leaving the pads in the sump for months at a time can be good for the water quality even if the water appears crystal clear.
    I agree. I recently removed one of my Bio Foam Pads after just a few weeks since cleaning them, and it was full of mulm again. And I have very good Mechanical filtration. My Bio Foam Pads are going. And I'd recommend people who have them clean them as often as they change socks (based on what happens in my sump).

Quote Originally Posted by gordo33 View Post
    Jack what I am struggling to wrap my head around is what is the difference between build up in substrate in the display tank and build up in the pads in the sump. For some reason it appears that people are less concerned with the sump having a build up in he pads than the same build up in the substrate in the display tank. To combat the build up in the display tank many forum members including myself have switched to a BB display with a sump. Now the water moving thru the pads is going to pull some of the muck and or micro organisms in the pads back into the display tank. Can't believe leaving the pads in the sump for months at a time can be good for the water quality even if the water appears crystal clear.
    well...some are pretty fanatical about keeping sumps clean too.

different schools of thought really.

also, some would argue that clear water doesn't mean clean water.

if you want to dig into it a different perspective have a read of
    diana walstad ecology of the planted aquarium

Thanks everyone. This is helpful information.
    Do you all still do 50-70% water changes a day?
    I am thinking of getting a 60 gallon tank with a sump from Custom Aquariums for over $2,000.
    Be kind.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
    Thanks everyone. This is helpful information.
    Do you all still do 50-70% water changes a day?
    I am thinking of getting a 60 gallon tank with a sump from Custom Aquariums for over $2,000.
    I do WC's every other day typically...

Can you do any bigger? 2 grand for a 60 gallon tank and sump sounds awfully steep...?

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Every sumps are different designs. I guess you would clean it when it gets dirty looking. My sump I use an 20ppi poret foam pad for prefllter, K-1 micro moving bed filter, next 30ppi poret foam pad, and last a bag of Seachem matrix bio media. So far every six months remove pads and rinse outside. That's all required to keep my sump clean, real simple and easy.....
    That's good to hear. I am building my sump now. Using 10 and 20 ppi on my sump first chamber then 30 on the wet/dry drip plate before return chamber

Registered Member

Fifty years ago my friends that kept salt water tanks all had under gravel filters. When I asked about all the waste building up in the gravel bed they explained that once the nitrogen cycle had broken down the waste it was inert and did not hurt anything. Maybe that is what is happening in thep sump. What do you think?
    Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12