AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: anyone have gouramis with discus?

Default anyone have gouramis with discus?

Cana the Gouramis tolerate the higher temps, & will they get along with the discus & rams? I would like to add 5 red ones, all males, if they could do ok...thanks, Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: anyone have gouramis with discus?

Maybe ask Liz... I think she has kept gouramis with discus.

My daughter kept 3 different strains of Gouramis with Discus for quite a long while, and she had no problems to my knowledge. She Blue & Pearl Gouramis but can't recall what the 3rd type was.

Real Name
    Jason

I kept some dwarf gouramis with my discus for about a year. 8 foot tank, so I was able to keep a few males in relative harmony, they had their own territories. The Discus were big enough that they didn't hassle them. In my opinion they worked well together, and the blue and red looked nice with my Turks. When I got the wilds I removed them in case of disease, particularly Iridovirus, it can take such a long time to show up.

Real Name
    Eric

Is iridovirus linked to discus plague? If no, is it communicable to discus? TIA

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Is iridovirus linked to discus plague? If no, is it communicable to discus? TIA
    Not sure if it's communicable, don't think my Gourami had it, but I didn't want to find out the hard way. I'd also like to know if anyone has facts. It certainly has similar symptoms to discus plague and may be confused with it if a Discus had it. The other one I always thought was a concern, and wanted to know about in relation to Discus is Neon Tetra Disease.

Hi all, looks like I may have to avoid them, since I don't want to take any risk like the iridovirus.....but the fire reds sure are pretty & I'm trying to color up my tanks, lol thanks all for the input, Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Real Name
    Jason

I don't think your questions have been totally answered yet in regards to the Dwarf Gourami, I'd like to see what the facts are too. There are many other nice Gourami other than the Dwarf Gourami.

If you want colour you could try Rainbow Fish. I have 2 male and 2 female Red Rainbow Fish in a 3' tank with a small group of 3 Discus, a pair of Angelfish and a school of Black Tetras. In the 8' tank they were fast swimming and really used the whole tank and I could see that this may unsettle some Discus, however, they didn't bother mine. In the smaller tank they can't develop that speed and they're more passive. The dominant male almost glows a bright orange /red, so much colour. I've heard people say not to put them with Discus, I can only presume their speed unsettles some Discus, if that was the case it would likely depend on the size of your tank.