AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How many Corydoras in 80G Discus grow out tank ?

Registered Member

Question How many Corydoras in 80G Discus grow out tank ?

Please help in suggesting the ideal number of Corydoras I can safely add to my newer 80G tank please, as I've grown fond of them along with Discus.

This tank currently houses 9 x 3"-3.5" sized juvenile Discus only, tank has 0.5" white sand substrate and 1 piece of Driftwood (no plants).

Considering these Discus will be in this tank along with the Corydoras in the long run, please suggest accordingly.

I would like to add a few varieties of Corydoras (Duplicareus, Rabauti, Leopard, Sterbai etc..) minimum of 6 of each species at-least.

Also, is it better to keep 1 species in a big group than assorted?

Advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks !

Default Re: How many Corydoras in 80G Discus grow out tank ?

Quote Originally Posted by Superxan View Post
    Please help in suggesting the ideal number of Corydoras I can safely add to my newer 80G tank please, as I've grown fond of them along with Discus.

This tank currently houses 9 x 3"-3.5" sized juvenile Discus only, tank has 0.5" white sand substrate and 1 piece of Driftwood (no plants).

Considering these Discus will be in this tank along with the Corydoras in the long run, please suggest accordingly.

I would like to add a few varieties of Corydoras (Duplicareus, Rabauti, Leopard, Sterbai etc..) minimum of 6 of each species at-least.

Also, is it better to keep 1 species in a big group than assorted?

Advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks !
    I'm not sure about exact numbers but be sure to qt them. Also not all corys do well in the discus temps so I would be conscious of that. I had a mixed group of sterbai and emeralds. Odd thing was the emeralds pretty much separated from the sterbai. I now have just the sterbai

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

I currently have 18 in my 75, I have some emeralds and some panda's the emeralds are way bigger and full grown the panda's are babies. I am quite fond of them and how active they are on the sand, churning and diving for food. I would think you could easily do 3 groups of 2 or two groups of 10?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

are all the fish going to be housed permanently in the 80gal with sand?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I'm not sure about exact numbers but be sure to qt them. Also not all corys do well in the discus temps so I would be conscious of that. I had a mixed group of sterbai and emeralds. Odd thing was the emeralds pretty much separated from the sterbai. I now have just the sterbai
    Yes, I will QT any new fish coming into my tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    are all the fish going to be housed permanently in the 80gal with sand?
    That's the plan as of now. Once the Discus grow big and if they do pair off, I will move those to another tank.

Registered Member

Imo you already have 3 too many discus in your tank for the long term. Nine discus plus catfish could use a 100to 135 gallon tank.

Time for a bigger tank.
    Ron

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    Imo you already have 3 too many discus in your tank for the long term. Nine discus plus catfish could use a 100to 135 gallon tank.

Time for a bigger tank.
    Ron
    My initial plan was to get only 5 juvenile Discus, however a friend of mine had to relocate and I picked up his group of juvenile Discus and added with mine (as they were from the same batch). However, even with 9 Discus is tank, the tank looks empty to me.

I do have another 40G community tank with a some Rams & Sterbai Corys, I can always move them around in-case it gets over stocked in 80G.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post

Time for a bigger tank.
    Ron
    +1

the tank seems bare now which is normal, but those discus r gonna grow a lot and it will look packed when they are adults.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    +1

the tank seems bare now which is normal, but those discus r gonna grow a lot and it will look packed when they are adults.
    How long would they usually take to go from 3"-3.5" to say 5" odd (approx. time frame)?

If I can manage them till they grow out to a bigger size, at current stocking, how many Corydoras can I add?

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

I would start with six to eight.
    Kraig