ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New aquarium question

Registered Member

Default New aquarium question

I am upgrading only the tank of my aquarium this afternoon. I will be using the same plants wood and substrate from the old tank and also using the same filter. (Bought everything with the intensions of upgrading my tank someday so everything is rated for the new tank size.) Are there anythings I need to be aware of so that my fish don't run into any problems? Should I keep the same water change schedule I have done? (Every other day). Also today is a water change day so should I just put brand new water in the new tank or use a mix of old and new? Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: New aquarium question

What's the water volume of your new and old tank ?
    I'm guessing you just add tank height without changing the stand .
    Be sure that your new tank silicone is fully cured,rinsed well and it doesn't have that silicone smell .Other than that it should be fine .
    Keep current water % during your WCs in your new tank.

You can put them in 100 % fresh water but use drip acclimatization or pour a cup of water for an half an hour to avoid potential PH shocks.

Use the old tank once your fish are out to thoroughly mix and clean the sand from all the gunk in your old tank water so you can start with clean sand in your new tank .

Good luck and post some pictures once you are over with it .

It'll be fine to just add fresh conditioned water to the new tank, once you have moved over the filter, heater, etc. & put the same plants, wood & substrate in place - then lastly, move the fish in to the new tank from the holding container you had temporarily placed them in just before you moved the substrate, etc. from the previous tank over to the new tank.
    I'm assuming the pH of your tap water is similar to that in the old tank.
    Maintain the same water schedule in the new tank.
    Shouldn't be more than an approx. couple of hours job or so.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 03-19-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Filip's suggestion to take the opportunity to also clean up the substrate while you're at it, is a good one.

Registered Member

Good idea with the sand...any tips on that? Current plan would be mix up the sand real good and then dunk it into a small bucket of tank water and then back out into new tank. Or could I simply swish it in old tank and then go to new tank?

Registered Member

Oh one more thing I need more substrate than the old tank should I mix new and old or put new in first and old on top

Real Name
    Filip

I would just give it a good mix in the old tank until your whole tank gets brown watered from all the gunk and then just transfer the sand (without the dirty water , offcourse) directly in the new tank.
    I would also mix the new and old sand in your new tank and put the filter floss on your filter intake to take care of the leftover dirt and gunk .

Real Name
    Willie

Put your fish in a separate container before doing any of this. It's a great opportunity to thoroughly clean the sand. I would rinse the same 2 - 3 times with fresh water before moving it into the new tank.

As for the fish, fill the tank with conditioned water, transfer your filtration system, add fish. Tada!

Have fun, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Put your fish in a separate container before doing any of this. It's a great opportunity to thoroughly clean the sand. I would rinse the same 2 - 3 times with fresh water before moving it into the new tank.

As for the fish, fill the tank with conditioned water, transfer your filtration system, add fish. Tada!

Have fun, Willie
    Agree re: putting the fish in a separate container first - that's just what I recommended, Willie, in my first post - #3.

Registered Member

Alright guys thanks for alll your help. I put the fish in a brute trash can with a heater and a powerhead. I'm glad I did cause it took a long time between cleaning the sand and replanting my plants. I'm adding a new piece of wood so when it sinks I'll snap some pictures. Seems like the fish are doing great as they ate five minutes after i put them in the new tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoussock View Post
    Alright guys thanks for alll your help. I put the fish in a brute trash can with a heater and a powerhead. I'm glad I did cause it took a long time between cleaning the sand and replanting my plants. I'm adding a new piece of wood so when it sinks I'll snap some pictures. Seems like the fish are doing great as they ate five minutes after i put them in the new tank.

That's great to hear !