AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help.. Video attached

Registered Member

Default Please help.. Video attached

So this seems to be happening one by one. Nothing apparent on fish but separates and now is quite weak from refusal to eat for a while. Temp is 84 perfect parameters am, nitrite,... nitrates under 5ppm. PH 7. 2 as it has been for a long time. I lost my blue diamond same way. Treating now for a week with Praxipro and Metroplex for suspicion of internal parasites. Also added Aquarium salt. Fish not responding. I am really upset and don't know what else to do....

I so lost one of my 2 angels.. Which are small. Only other inhabitants besides my 8 discus in a 240g are some rummy and cardinals. No new additions for over 6 months. I feed only Hikari brand blood worms discus plus brine shrimp, beef heart.

Video

https://youtu.be/JvGersMOXQc
    Last edited by ebaybrad; 03-17-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Please help.. Video attached

What is your water change schedule? The fish's fins appear to have some pretty severe rot, which is usually related to water issues. Could also be causing an internal bacterial infection, but this should be confirmed by a senior member.

There is a help request form, it would be best if you filled it out in order to pinpoint the issue.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Real Name
    Naz

A few things you need to do as soon as possible, First you need to move your Discus out of the planted tank into a quarantine/ hospital tank.It is not recommended to treat fish in a planted tank. Second you need to do daily large water change with them.After that you can look at what medication is needed. Also fill out the Disease Questionnaire in the Emergency Room like Erie mentioned.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Mervin

Also if it's fin rot,you may want to consider a different antibiotic,such as Furan 2.The fish in the pic looks like it needs euthanizing;too far gone.Looks if it may have more than one issue.

Registered Member

The plant is not real. This fish is the only one with the fin problem. Maybe he is getting picked on. All the other fish are perfection and normal fins. My tank is on a 40gpd water change through an automatic drip that exits a waste pipe plumbed to sump. 40gpd changes after going through a 4 stage carbon block and sediment filter. Water is only treated with chlorine so the filtering should be fine along with normal dissipation because of the drip to the system.

tank is bare bottom and I vacuum daily. I am really upset.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

about 2 weeks ago. same thing happened with my blue diamond. seems to happen 1 by 1.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    not eating, appears weak or swim problem, fins now frayed, were not 2 days ago, no apparent marks on fish or clamping, labored respiration, maybe reddened gils..hard to say, separating from others

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

praxipro, 3 dosages with metroplex at about 3-400 mg

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    240 gallons with sump 40w uv, carbon block 4 stage drip system for water change, bare bottom.
    9 discus approx. 6 inches each, 1 angel (lost one also in this situation), 10 cardinals, 20 rummynoses, 2 plecos

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

40 gpd every day on drip system.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    no substrate, bare bottom, running about 8 months with discus...3 years freshwater.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

no swings 7.2 constant. fish came from same parameters..

8. Parameters and water source;

muni filtered. 0 amm 0 nit. 5 ppm nitrate (maybe less), 7.2 ph, chlorine 0

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____84

- ph _____ 7.2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

tap filtered 1 stage sediment 5 micron, 3 stage carbon to 1 micron

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ yes

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

nothing

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

alternating hikaki bloodworms, discus plus, beefheart hiari, brine shrimp hikari, tetra color tropical granules, hikari discus pellets (small), prime flakes

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

see above
    Last edited by ebaybrad; 03-17-2017 at 12:20 PM.

IMO you need to move this to the disease section of this site.

This is a very sick fish and my guess is that the conditions that made it this sick may affect other fish in this tank.

Real Name
    Eric

I am not sure that is large enough of a water change for a 240, especially with a drip system. However, to see if there is another factor at play, we really need more info (disease questionnaire) and pics.

Registered Member

If I cant same him, I want to prevent it from happening again.

Registered Member

Temp. 74 deg. Discus need minimum 80 deg.

Good Luck, Rick

Registered Member

that was a typo 84 degress steady.

Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

He is dead. So now what do I do to stop it from happening to another? Should I still dose metro and Praxipro? All the other fish look fine including their fins and eat voraciously

Are you quarantining new fish before putting them into the tank?

You haven't stated the source of your discus, and it looks to me like you got substandard, &/or unhealthy discus in the first place, and you haven't kept them in an ideal environment since then, nor cared for them properly.
    Suggest you clean up that tank, remove all accessories (fake plants, etc.), and give them large, daily fresh water changes for a while to see if you can improve their condition.
    You've already medicated, so not much point of doing any further medicating imo.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    I am not sure that is large enough of a water change for a 240, especially with a drip system. However, to see if there is another factor at play, we really need more info (disease questionnaire) and pics.
    I agree,some of that 40 gal is being flushed back out in a drip system,so really your not changing 40 gal. of water in total.Due to some of the newer water being changed out with the older water at the same time.But I also see you nitrates
    are low which is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast