AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Plywood Bottom, Acrylic Sides

Registered Member

Default Plywood Bottom, Acrylic Sides

Hi guys,

I am going to make an 4'x4'x18" acrylic aquarium and was thinking about saving money by making the bottom plywood. I know there are issues with adhering the acrylic to the wood. So, instead of getting the 3/8"-1/2" acrylic bottom, I was thinking of cementing a 4'x4' 1/4" acrylic to the plywood. Then I would use Weldon to adhere the sides to the thin acrylic/plywood bottom. It would save me about 50 bucks. What are your thoughts?

P

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Plywood Bottom, Acrylic Sides

Personally I don't think its worth the risk or the trouble. Not sure if 'Weldon' is any good to adhere plywood to acrylic. Not sure about anywhere else but 4'x4'x18'' tanks are standard here in Australia and can be purchased very cheaply....but in glass not acrylic
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Oh no, I definitely will not Weldon acrylic to plywood. I would cement a thinner piece of acrylic onto the 4'x4' plywood and then Weldon the thicker pieces of acrylic to the acrylic that is cemented onto the plywood. Dang, 4'x4' are standard in Australia? That's like 180 gallons+. Standard here in the US is like 55-75 gallons.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Pattacus View Post
    Oh no, I definitely will not Weldon acrylic to plywood. I would cement a thinner piece of acrylic onto the 4'x4' plywood and then Weldon the thicker pieces of acrylic to the acrylic that is cemented onto the plywood. Dang, 4'x4' are standard in Australia? That's like 180 gallons+. Standard here in the US is like 55-75 gallons.
    My apologies 4X4 is not standard. Oopsy
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

I agree with Joe, plus $50 difference on an 180 gallon tank is almost nothing.
    Ron