AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: International Online Discus ɪ-Discus 2017

Default International Online Discus ɪ-Discus 2017

Hello all,

Dear Discus Lovers World Wide,

The North American Discus Association (NADA) and SimplyDiscus have teamed up for the very first time to bring you an awesome Discus Photo Competition with a single Grand Prize of $500.00 to be provided by NADA. The Photo Contest will take place in the Month of April coinciding with SimplyDiscus's 15 year anniversary. Leadership from both SimplyDiscus and NADA have been working tirelessly on this now and we are very pleased to formally announce it.

ɪ-Discus 2017

Proudly brought to you by SimplyDiscus and NADA ( North American Discus Association.)

This International Discus Competition is open to everyone. You must be a member of SimplyDiscus to participate though so please register as soon as possible if you are not yet a member of this great forum. Registration is Free !!! There is no entry fee!!! You just must be able meet to the Rules and Criteria we lay out for the contest. You must also be able to receive the funds in your country from the USA should you win the $500 award.

Rules:

1) Fish pictures will be emailed to a specified email address and posted anonymously by SimplyDiscus Forum Staff in a no-comment thread. We will announce the email address for this Submissions in this thread at contest start (April 2). Images may be cropped and have routine Post Processing carried out, for example white balance adjustment, exposure adjustments, lens corrections and general tone adjustments. Unless otherwise specified images may not be significantly modified by excessive cloning or compositing. No watermarks or names can be shown on the picture. Images that are submitted can not have been posted here on Simply or anywhere else publically. You must not indicate which pictures are yours publically. You will be Disqualified if you do.

2) There will be 5 classes
    ............striated class
    .............Solid class
    .............Spotted class
    .............open class
    .............wild
    We may add more classes or subtract classes if there looks to be enough entries or not enough entries . The Class your fish are entered in will be determined by us based on accepted standards.

3) Importers and commercial sellers of Fish are not allowed to participate. We want to encourage all hobbyist to enter and this levels the field. In order to enter you must be member of SimplyDiscus in good standing. Registration to the forum is free.

4) Images must be less than 2 Mb. Larger images will be resized by us where possible. Images/entries may be rejected if they do not meet our guidelines. Please Note ***Digital images have EXIF data built in and this will be used to verify the date..EXIF Data must not be stripped from images.*** You MUST be the owner of the Fish. You can not submit pictures of other peoples fish. Images must be taken in the Month of March, and April 2017

5) Submissions can be emailed in April 2 to April 30. The email address is idiscuscontest@gmail.com Entries must be in no latter than April 30, winners will be announced by May 16, 2017.

6) Submissions must contain your full name, a valid telephone number,and your Forum User Name. Submissions must contain 4 images as follows,
    ....... front facing head shot
    ...... .right side profile
    ........left side profile
    ........Netted with ruler shot for size.

7) Judging will be performed by qualified NADA judges, SimplyDiscus Staff, and others to be announced . Judges will not be allowed to participate in the contest.
    Criteria will use a standard "NADA"show card optimized for an online show..

8) Entry in this contest gives NADA and SimplyDiscus explicit permission to use submitted photos in Promotional Material, Fund Raisers, and Marketing. You agree to this by entering. You retain rights to the images, but allow us full use as well. Acknowledgement of this will accompany any use of these images.

9) The small print... Failure to adhere to contest rules will lead to being disqualified. We have tried to anticipate all issues and make the rules clear and concise, but should an issue or problem arise we maintain all rights to resolve it as we see fit. You agree to this by your submission. Rules may be amended and if so any changes will be posted here. We may cancel this contest at any point with no compensation to the participants.

If you have questions , this is the thread to ask them and SimplyDiscus Staff and NADA leadership will try and Answer them. We hope to see lots of participation in this contest so SimplyDiscus and NADA can work on more cool stuff together! Good luck everyone!! The contest does not begin officially as far submissions goes until April 2 and then goes on the whole month of April , so you have lots of time to practice!

-SimplyDiscus & NADA

ps....

As NADA is providing the funds for this Award and is so heavily involved in the planning and Judging of the Show, I encourage all members to visit their website... http://www.discusnada.org/ They do some great work for this hobby with their shows and out reach programs.

Award designed especially for this contest.

trophy.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-28-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: International Online Discus show Coming soon....ɪ-Discus 2017

Congrats to NADA and Simply Discus for their cooperation and for putting together their efforts and time to organize this fun and rewarding show .
    I'm looking forward to see many wonderful discus from all around the globe and can't wait for the show to beggin .

Real Name
    Rick

If anyone has any questions or thoughts, this is the time to ask. This should be a fun and rewarding undertaking, lets hope we get lots of participation!

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't like the netted ruler photo...I don't want to put my fish and tankmates through that.
    Maybe a class with no ruler requirement?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg Biggiani

Nice! Can't wait to participate. Quick question... hopefully I didn't miss this in the rules: How many submission are we limited to?

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by GVB View Post
    Nice! Can't wait to participate. Quick question... hopefully I didn't miss this in the rules: How many submission are we limited to?
    There is no limit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I don't like the netted ruler photo...I don't want to put my fish and tankmates through that.
    no
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

just one question. Pat, Rick, Noob, etc... could you come take some photos for me? ; )

Real Name
    Matt

We understand that a lot of people may not want to net their fish out and put a ruler to them, but to get an accurate measure of size it's the best way. Get everything ready before you net to spend less time fumbling while they are out of the tank. Towel and ruler laid out, camera ready, net them out snap the pic and back in. Without having the opportunity for the judges to see them in person, they won't be able to get an accurate measurement without it.

NADA show is next year, this is a great opportunity to start honing your eye to the show fish criteria before you enter one in next year's show! If you think you have a fish that could make a run down a judge's scorecard, enter it! And hey, it's a few pictures and a measurement for a chance at a nice prize! We all love showing our fish off, why not for a chance at $500 and to claim a spot in the FIRST EVER I-Discus contest? Can't hurt right??

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    just one question. Pat, Rick, Noob, etc... could you come take some photos for me? ; )
    Sorry Jack, I have to sit this one out LOL. I still need recovery for NADA 2018.
    -Matt

As Matt said, size is one of the many criteria that we use to judge discus. A discus that has been raised properly should reach a minimum of 6" and this is the size we use as a standard. Any discus under 6" will receive a deduction. We can't tell from a picture what size a discus really is. Netting a discus properly should bring no harm to them.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    no
    How do you honestly feel about that! LOL..

Ya I get the ruler rule and thanks for the ruling.

I just took some pictures of my fish and it is hard to tell the size. I just don't want to chase my fish around the tank to net them.

Best of luck to all the entrants!
    Last edited by Neptune; 03-21-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

How do you honestly feel about that! LOL..

Ya I get the ruler rule and thanks for the ruling.

I just took some pictures of my fish and it is hard to tell the size. I just don't want to chase my fish around the tank to net them.

Best of luck to all the entrants!
    How would you get a fish to a show without netting it? How does anybody get any fish to a show without netting it?

As others have mentioned, the ruler photo is used for one thing and one thing only, to verify size. It can be a quick cell phone pic. All you need to do is have a ruler laid out on the floor on top of a moist towel. During a water change (this is the time that is the easiest) net the fish and lay down on towel, snap a quick pic and return. The whole process should take 30 seconds or less.
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 03-21-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    How would you get a fish to a show without netting it? How does anybody get any fish to a show without netting it?
    Now there is a point I can't argue! LOL..

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Nice try Jack
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Cristina Gangi

wheeeeeee im stoked for this !!!!!!
    Ocean, n. A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man — who has no gills.
    --Ambrose "Bitter" Bierce

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast