AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Safe to Mix 2 and half inches from different breeders.

Default Safe to Mix 2 and half inches from different breeders.

Hi guys,
    I currently have a 40 gallon breeder tank with 6 two and half inch discus, I purchased them from a local breeder from his breeding pair. This Monday I will be receiving 5 more of the same sized discus from a different breeder and the discus are from his breeding pair as well. So both the babies are not introduced to new discus ever.

Is it safe I introduce both the batches this Monday when I get the next 5 ? I was planning on using "Kordon Fish Prep Natural Treatment " for a good 15min bath on the new fish and add meth blue to the 40 gal tank. Will that be good enough ? I currently have 6 tanks and my wife won't let me get another one (nothing new in that uh ). Here are pictures of what I have -
    IMG_1218-min.jpgIMG_1221-min.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Safe to Mix 2 and half inches from different breeders.

Keep both groups separate for at least a month quarantined from one another. This means, no shared equipment, including water change equipment. Washing hands frequently when working on both tanks.

When you introduce one group to the other, take 1 fish from one group and add to the other group, preferably the group you like the least of the two. Leave that "hero" fish in there for a couple of weeks. If no one does, you can mix the groups.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Sanjay,

If I understand your question correctly, you are looking to mix 2 batches of discus from different sources together?

If that is the case, most folks here will tell you no and advise against it. You will be cross contaminating the groups and one group, the other or both could get sick.

The proper way would be to separate the 2 groups into their own QT, then add a hero fish from one to the other after 6-8 weeks sometimes even longer. It is quite the process and given you can't have anymore tanks, not sure what you can do. If you mix the batches be prepared for possible fall out.

Thanks Guys! so what if I want to use one of my breeding tanks and move the pair to a community tank. Should I drain the breeding tank completely(dry) and add fresh water with new filter pads. Will that help ?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Thanks Guys! so what if I want to use one of my breeding tanks and move the pair to a community tank. Should I drain the breeding tank completely(dry) and add fresh water with new filter pads. Will that help ?
    Safest way would be to sterilize the breeders tank with bleach , adding bleach In water and let it run with your filters on for a couple of hours .
    After that you rinse and wipe the tank dry and start with new filter materials .
    Adding bottled bio bacteria will help to seed your sterile filter materials , and doing 100% WC once your new babies arrive will ensure against ammonia and nitrite spikes during the first month of cycling.
    After a month , add your smallest fish from this group you have , to test them together for additional 2 weeks . If after 2 weeks all goes smooth , you can safely mix the 2 groups .

P.s. Do not put your breeding pair in this display tank from your pic. with young discus . They will stunt their growth if you do so.
    Last edited by Filip; 05-26-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Safest way would be to sterilize the breeders tank with bleach , adding bleach In water and let it run with your filters on for a couple of hours .
    After that you rinse and wipe the tank dry and start with new filter materials .
    Adding bottled bio bacteria will help to seed your sterile filter materials , and doing 100% WC once your new babies arrive will ensure against ammonia and nitrite spikes during the first month of cycling.
    After a month , add your smallest fish from this group you have , to test them together for additional 2 weeks . If after 2 weeks all goes smooth , you can safely mix the 2 groups .

P.s. Do not put your breeding pair in this display tank from your pic. with young discus . They will stunt their growth if you do so.
    Thanks Filip, no that's not my display tank. I have another 75 gallon with 4 adult discus and some angels in there so planning on adding my pair to that temporarily and will do as you instructed. I have new everything I need, it just hurts to move the pair.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

You could always get a rubber bucket or container of some type to hold the pair? Maybe it is a way to skirt around the no more tank rule? "Honey what do you mean? This isn't a tank! It is a container!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    You could always get a rubber bucket or container of some type to hold the pair? Maybe it is a way to skirt around the no more tank rule? "Honey what do you mean? This isn't a tank! It is a container!!!"
    I have a container already, can I keep the new batch (5) in the container ?? its pretty big container. Plus the batch I'm receiving is a non-pigeon based.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Sure, I don't see why not... Obviously, it isn't ideal for viewing and what not, but as a qt it should do just fine...

Real Name
    Eric

I think observation is the key component of QT so I'd advise against using a container if possible

If you mix them, chances are you will only transfer worms and hex, if either batch harbors them. Both batches might be totally clean of the usual suspects.

If you choose to mix them without proper QT there is a small chance of them getting something devastating. I know this from personal experience.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you mix them, chances are you will only transfer worms and hex, if either batch harbors them. Both batches might be totally clean of the usual suspects.

If you choose to mix them without proper QT there is a small chance of them getting something devastating. I know this from personal experience.
    Your right Liz , but getting Hex on a 2 inch discus is next to failure IMO .
    It can easily leave the fish a full month w/o eating , and another one until it regains its full appetite again. And that's a failure scenario for anything more than a begginer discus keeper IMO .

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Your right Liz , but getting Hex on a 2 inch discus is next to failure IMO .
    It can easily leave the fish a full month w/o eating , and another one until it regains its full appetite again. And that's a failure scenario for anything more than a begginer discus keeper IMO .
    I wont take that chance, I'm getting this really good fish from someone so I will keep them in a container (30" long and 18" wide) for a month and introduce a hero fish. Thanks Liz !

All water storage container and water change equipment must never come in to contact with the other. Otherwise their will be cross contamination.
    Mama Bear