ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White spots please help

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default White spots please help

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

White spots and tail rot

Not eating 1 of them out of 4 maybe a flake or blood here or there if he doesn't spit it back out

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Clamped fins on the 1 dark with white stuff on them

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Tried metroplex for a lil for white poop that I noticed on one of them, then over time I noticed my largest not being so active and not eating with minor fin rot so I started using melaflex for the fin rot, noticed no improvement. So now I'm on amoxicillin per my fish my store. But I'm not quite sure I'm seeing a improvement its the 3rd day. I'm trying tout nip this in the butt but cant.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

60gallon

4 discus largest is about 3 1/2 in. To the smallest as about 2 in

7 tetra
    1 upside-down catfish

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

15gal every other day out of 60gal

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank has been running for about 14 months.
    White sand 1 in deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

If you consider sitting in my ro tanks aging then atleast 24 hrs

Ph is 6.5

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _85____

- ph __6.5___

- ammonia reading __0

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading ___0_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water____xxxxxxxx I use r.of. occasionally adding filter water if I do a larger water change

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No it been atleast 2 months since

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

3 eat perfect but have small white spots with what looks to be the start ofrom something 1 the biggest and the one I had the longest might barley peck at it idk if he really it's it. But I tried garlic gaurd and they all don't seem to like it to well but the 3 will go after it eventually

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: White spots please help

Poor guy, they are in a terrible condition. Your water change is inadequate that's why they are getting white spots. I normally changed 50% or more water per day for that size.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Sean I have to agree with warblad79 post. You are not changing nearly enough water to maintain healthy fish. You need to up your water change regimen immediately. Could you possibly try 3 large water changes of 80% or more for 3 consecutive days and report back??
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

So those spots are due to stress because I'm honestly thinking there is something more going on. I've done the same water change for ever now and I've never seen a negative response from doing them every other day. I can up the water change which is easy, BUT is there something I should treat this growth with cause I've up my water changes to 25 gallons out of 60 and I haven't seen much of a improvement in these spots.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

This is the smallest
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Could this be something fungal?

Real Name
    Mervin

Those look like zits/pimples and not ich to me.Water quality has gotten poor/polluted over time.Also caused the discus in the pic to become stressed and stunted and sickly looking.25 gal. is still not enough water changed out of 60 gal.Like mentioned above,go for 80% WC for the next few days.Then at least 50% on a daily or every other day routine with vacuuming of the substrate.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

you could add some salt for stress and it will help with the spots, but this is nothing fungal/bacterial/parasitic, its all water quality
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Ok i hope water changes will take care of this, I'll start the 80 when I get off work

But I'm nervous that it could be something more do you recommend any sort of preventive care or meds I use the stuff called fish keeper for electrolytes and Amazon rain to add minerals back into my RO water with a small amount of salt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Well i guess I'm going to be doing those water changes

Real Name
    Jacklyn

actually, the preventative measures most discus keepers should and do take are large water changes lol. you could stand to lower your temp a little, maybe down to 82 but 85 is not extreme, its inside the normal temperature range. I would try adding some salt to the tank with your next waterchange, try 6 heaping tablespoons for the 60 gallons. Make sure its not iodized salt. this will help with the clamped fin, and with stress.

any reason why you think RO is necessary for these domestic juvies??
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

The reason i use r.o. is cause I live in Az and our water is extremely hard and dirty.

It should be ok to mix filtered and r.o. water at the same time? I would think it is just thought to double check, cause I don't have enough r.o. tanks to do a 80% change

Real Name
    Jacklyn

what is the ph and tds of your tap water?
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Not sure what the ph is thru tap but my tds is 400+

Real Name
    Jacklyn

tap/ro mix will be find I would bet. just make sure your water doesn't have nitrates/chlorine.
    ~JACKLYN~

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast