AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What filter(s)? Type/Brand

Default What filter(s)? Type/Brand

So I am going to invest in my first discus tank. My plans are to have a 40-55 gallon tank, lightly planted (most likely potted) with a Super Naturals (rock) bottom.

I am going to buy probably 4-6 2.5-3inch Discus from Discus Hans.

I have been searching CraigsList/iPhone apps nonstop for the tank to buy, but i need help in deciding on the filter.

What is best for the fish in this case? I plan on having a few mats of plants, maybe one or two higher plants in the front and an anubias with a little growth in between.

Light will be LED.

I have owned plenty of freshwater fish over the years, but this will be my first strictly Discus tank.

Default Re: What filter(s)? Type/Brand

Also, if anyone else has any important tips or questions please do feel free to help.

I am currently taking notes on this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8

Quote Originally Posted by TheLankster View Post
    Also, if anyone else has any important tips or questions please do feel free to help.

I am currently taking notes on this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8
    Attempting to grow fish of that size in a planted tank with gravel isn't the best environment for optimum growth. Take it from someone who started off on the wrong foot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Attempting to grow fish of that size in a planted tank with gravel isn't the best environment for optimum growth. Take it from someone who started off on the wrong foot
    X2. Agreed. Start bare bottom. When fish are grown up, Then you can decide if you would like substrate.

Sponge filters in tank work well and help put oxygen in the water. They are easy to clean quickly. Also very useful if you have to set up hospital tank quickly. It is helpful to have two running at all times. A good hob filter or canister filter in addition would be a good idea. A filter that allows you to add or remove carbon or purigen is helpful as well.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    +1 .

Your tank is smallest size recommended for keeping 5 discus .
    If you want to go with sand and plants buy your self full grown discus and save your self a lot of headaches and disappointment .If you do decide to start with 3" juvvies than start barebottom until you better understand the needs of discus for fresh and clean water .
    After they grow , you can cut down feedings , you can put some half inch sand on the bottom and put some potted plants and decor but still not too much .
    Good luck and please inform your self better about discus needs and their delicate nature about water quality before you take the plunge .

Silver Member

I use 2 - eheim 2217 canister filters with hydor in line heaters on my 72 gallon. you can't go wrong with eheims.

Real Name
    Emil

I do use Hydor filters and they work great and have no issues with them. http://www.hydor.com/eng/prodotti-te...ter-filter.php

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    +1 .

Your tank is smallest size recommended for keeping 5 discus .
    If you want to go with sand and plants buy your self full grown discus and save your self a lot of headaches and disappointment .If you do decide to start with 3" juvvies than start barebottom until you better understand the needs of discus for fresh and clean water .
    After they grow , you can cut down feedings , you can put some half inch sand on the bottom and put some potted plants and decor but still not too much .
    Good luck and please inform your self better about discus needs and their delicate nature about water quality before you take the plunge .
    I will echo Filip's advice here OP, your plan is really not a great way to begin your discus hobby, more of a plan for adult discus and expert level discus and planted tank keepers. Not saying that you aren't either of each but you really have made it difficult to achieve success. Most people who start out with juvies in a planted tank end up in the disease emergency room within the first month or less. Growing out juvies requires much cleaner water than is achievable in a planted tank. Also one major obstacle I see personally is your tank size. 40gallons is not big enough for adult discus, period. 55 gallons is borderline big enough. Unless you plan to get a 75 gallon or larger eventually, I wouldn't even consider discus at all. But it can be done in a 55gallon barebottom tank with possibly some light sand and driftwood. Would you consider a biotope theme tank instead??
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I will echo Filip's advice here OP, your plan is really not a great way to begin your discus hobby, more of a plan for adult discus and expert level discus and planted tank keepers. Not saying that you aren't either of each but you really have made it difficult to achieve success. Most people who start out with juvies in a planted tank end up in the disease emergency room within the first month or less. Growing out juvies requires much cleaner water than is achievable in a planted tank. Also one major obstacle I see personally is your tank size. 40gallons is not big enough for adult discus, period. 55 gallons is borderline big enough. Unless you plan to get a 75 gallon or larger eventually, I wouldn't even consider discus at all. But it can be done in a 55gallon barebottom tank with possibly some light sand and driftwood. Would you consider a biotope theme tank instead??
    I mean, i am considering anything im open to whatever is best for the fish. I was under the understanding that i would be okay with 6 juvies for awhile until they start getting to big, then i planned to either get a big display tank or move some into a seperate tank. I would buy full grown guys but the price tag is just too much for a college student lol.

I am totally cool with starting bare bottom though, but it would hurt even to throw some of that nice stone at like half an inch? The juvies would still be harmed by that?

I am more concerned if i should get HOB filters/canister filters/that type of things. Because right now on my normal freshwater i have two 50 gal HOBs running and im sick of hearing the damn water and filter go every night. I want something quiet but also really effective.

So you guys really dont like the idea of a 40 gallon. Is a 55 gallon enough? for 6 juvies to have some substrate and a few plants here and there?

I think some of you guys are just really into the discus and kind of baby them if were being honest, they are animals lol. but i am the noobie here so im not gonna act like i know better. You guys say the word and i will follow.

Real Name
    Filip

55 gallon tank is considered minumum for keeping 5-6 fullgrown discus .
    5-6 discus is considered minimum number , otherwise weaker discus might get beaten and chased until they get sick and die from bullying.
    Baby discus are very delicate about water quality and they require at least 3 big feedings per day and a daily water change in about 50% .
    Even the thin substrate can trap enough dirt to compromise baby discus health , and make them sick .

You can get away with 40 gallon only for a first few months (3-4 ) until they grow and than you would have to upgrade to bigger tankage .
    Leaving only 3-4 grown discus is not an option because someone is going to get beaten to sickness .
    Keeping baby discus in a substrate tank and without daily maintenance and WCs can easily end up with sick discus and big disappointment.

Now I just threw a couple of hard learned facts about discus and I hope you will end up using them wisely

As for a filter , canister is my personal favorite because they are quiet , have big capacity for filter materials and have good flow for an efficient mechanical filtration , but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    55 gallon tank is considered minumum for keeping 5-6 fullgrown discus .
    5-6 discus is considered minimum number , otherwise weaker discus might get beaten and chased until they get sick and die from bullying.
    Baby discus are very delicate about water quality and they require at least 3 big feedings per day and a daily water change in about 50% .
    Even the thin substrate can trap enough dirt to compromise baby discus health , and make them sick .

You can get away with 40 gallon only for a first few months (3-4 ) until they grow and than you would have to upgrade to bigger tankage .
    Leaving only 3-4 grown discus is not an option because someone is going to get beaten to sickness .
    Keeping baby discus in a substrate tank and without daily maintenance and WCs can easily end up with sick discus and big disappointment.

Now I just threw a couple of hard learned facts about discus and I hope you will end up using them wisely

As for a filter , canister is my personal favorite because they are quiet , have big capacity for filter materials and have good flow for an efficient mechanical filtration , but YMMV.
    Alright. I'll go bare bones until they get older. It's nbd, whatever is best for the fishies.

I've been trying to find some cheap canisters on Craigslist and stuff so I'll probably go with one of them and maybe my HOB filter that doesn't make noise just for the added.

Any other important tips for me?

Also, any other essential things I need for tank besides light/filter/heat

How about bubbles? I have a nice bubbler piece that my regular fish love. Would that be good for the tank or would it just gather bacteria

Quote Originally Posted by TheLankster View Post
    Alright. I'll go bare bones until they get older. It's nbd, whatever is best for the fishies.

I've been trying to find some cheap canisters on Craigslist and stuff so I'll probably go with one of them and maybe my HOB filter that doesn't make noise just for the added.

Any other important tips for me?

Also, any other essential things I need for tank besides light/filter/heat

How about bubbles? I have a nice bubbler piece that my regular fish love. Would that be good for the tank or would it just gather bacteria
    Amazon has good prices on canisters. I run the eheim 4+ 600 on my 75 and love it.

You can use air stones but as long as you have good surface agitation it isn't a must.

Also anything you use from another tank be sure to sanitize. You don't want to risk cross contamination

Another really good thing to have is a heater controller. Inkbirds are great and inexpensive

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

I have a 65 gallon tank with 5 Discus in it. I currently run 1 power head with a 40ppi sponge filter, two yes two Eheim pro 4 -350 canister filters, and one air operated sponge filter.
    One of the canister filters is run reverse flow through substrate,DIY pcv tubing.

Heater -get a bit oversized for the tank. Most are only made for a 10 degree rise in temperature. For instance if your home is 68 degrees and you only get 10 degree rise, your at 78 degrees. Your fish will most likely need to be between 81 and 86 degrees.
    The Eheim heater seems to be popular here. Titanium heaters seem to be a good choice also. I use an inline hydro 300 watt on my 65 gallon tank.

Hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
    I have a 65 gallon tank with 5 Discus in it. I currently run 1 power head with a 40ppi sponge filter, two yes two Eheim pro 4 -350 canister filters, and one air operated sponge filter.
    One of the canister filters is run reverse flow through substrate,DIY pcv tubing.

Heater -get a bit oversized for the tank. Most are only made for a 10 degree rise in temperature. For instance if your home is 68 degrees and you only get 10 degree rise, your at 78 degrees. Your fish will most likely need to be between 81 and 86 degrees.
    The Eheim heater seems to be popular here. Titanium heaters seem to be a good choice also. I use an inline hydro 300 watt on my 65 gallon tank.

Hope this is helpful.
    I use a fluavl e 300 and an aqueon pro 250. Both do a great job. I keep my house around 68 in the winter and tank around 82.5-83 with no issue. Both are connected to an inkbird.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast