ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 weeks away from my guys - a little nervous

Registered Member

Default 3 weeks away from my guys - a little nervous

I've had my 6 Uatuma blues for 10 months and everything has been cruising along swimmingly. Figured out my routine and the guys are settled in and losing their skittishness. But, I've been in the hospital for 17 days with a bout of cancer and a couple complications. My friend has been stopping by every other day to toss in a couple freeze dried tubifex cubes and has added water twice. I really can't ask him to do much more. I asked my LFS to take them in for a bit, but they never got back to me. I'm supposed to go home this Friday, so no water changes in about 3 weeks. I sure hope my buddies are ok, they have grown to 5 1/2-7" and colors and behavior have been coming around very nicely. I guess all I can do is hope they are strong enough by now to be ok when I finally get home. Wish me luck with my blues. I'm going to be fine, so no worries there. Just about 4-5 months of chemo treatment and I'll be good as new. It was a tad rough at the beginning, but we got it figured out now. Anybody had a similar experience? With the fish of course. Thanks for your thoughts.

From my soppy sleeveless shirt
    To my sorry, soggy shoes
    I've got those low down and dirty
    Uatuma blues...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: 3 weeks away from my guys - a little nervous

I hope you have a full recovery and glad to hear you will be "as good as new". Have your friend take a picture so you can see how the fish are doing. If they are eating they are most likely fine. Wilds are tough.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Filip

I'm very glad that you catch that little rascal in its early enough stage to get a full recovery from it ,William .
    Thats the most important part from your post .
    As for the second most important part about your Wilds I just hope theyll have no troubles as a result from this 3 weeks period .
    I would have advise you to just let them in complete darkness without any feeding for full 3 weeks as a better alternative , but now its too late for that advice .
    As Pat allready said they are a though crowd, very well used to fasting periods and harsh conditions so I'm hoping that you won't have any troubles with them .
    Good luck with your health and your discus too William and take care .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Bill so sorry to hear of your cancer. I hope you are doing as well as can be expected as it seems you are in high spirits and hopeful about your chemo treatment. Where do you live? if you were close I would offer to go and personally do a water change for you.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'm doing really good. Got to get ready for Bears training camp. They could use some help. Told my buddy to stop feeding. He said they are well. Glass was a bit yucky, but he cleaned it and took a short video. The blues were hiding out behind the driftwood, which they do when doing tank maintenance, so I couldn't see their condition. Tetras and cories were swimming nicely. Hoping there is no problems. Can't wait to get them squared away with a tank cleanup.
    Where is Phillydubs? Miss that guy.
    Last edited by William1; 03-22-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Best of luck on your recovery!

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

Glad you are doing OK.. ive had the big C 4 times and i know how mentally hard besides being just physically hard it can be. Sounds like your spirit is doing great along with the treatments Also sounds like your babies are as strong as you are. you and your babies will make it together. keep us updated on how everything goes and when you get home take and post some pics
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Best wishes to you and your blues. Auguri from Italy

Registered Member

Now I just got bumped till Sunday to go home. Some insurance thing. I need shots and it's $25 vs $2500 out of pocket. I guess we'll both have to hang tough till then. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

It must be so frustrating...that is one thing about keeping discus is there are not many people around to help with them if you get stuck. Hoping they spring you soon in good health and high spirits. You have a great attitude!

Sending positive thoughts and hopes that all goes smoothly and you get back on Sunday so you can give those fish a bath. Wish there was something we could do to help!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

Just got back home after 23 days in the hospital. That was a little rough at times, but everything is getting better by the minute. My guys seem fine. The tank is a filthy mess and needs a couple good siphonings and water changes, but the fishes appear to be ok. You're right, they are tough wild discus. I told my buddy to stop feeding them after the last post which was sound advice. Got to get psyched up to clean up the tank in a bit. I'll bet they'll be happy for that. That five gallon bucket did seem heavier than usual, that's for sure. Be good to see them without a carpet of brown algae between us. So the story ends well. Thanks for the advice and kind thoughts. It means a lot.

Welcome home William, so glad you and your fish are reunited. I am sure they were just as happy to see you.

Remember to take it slow. You have to take care of yourself to be able to take care of them.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

Thanks Jenene. You always have the most sweet natured posts. Yep- a five gallon bucket seems like a fifty right now. Plus I pour with my right hand and that side of my torso has some holes in in right now. Getting the water out is no problem. I run it through a garden hose out the front door. I may have to refill with half buckets for a day or two. Looks like the tank mates are ok as well. I can see all my cardinals through the muck and mire, Bolivian Rams, I count ten Rummies, I have eleven, maybe the other guy is in there somewhere, I assume the cories are ok, they can hang tough. So all is good. I am getting the evil eye from my discus though. It's like, ok dude, we understand, but it's back to work now. Time to show us a little love. Going to go slow. What's the rush anyway?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Can you buy or rig up something to get water into your tank. Once I went bucketless I haven't gone back. Has made life and the hobby itself much more enjoyable.

Do you age water? Cheap pond pumps can be had on Amazon. Or if you go straight tap maybe a hose Bibb on the end of a sink.

Hauling buckets blows and for a man on the mend you need to work smarter not harder.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Best wishes from Australia mate. Glad your discus made it through, and i'm sure that they're glad to have you back home. Look after yourself.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast