ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How Cleaning The Aquarium Left This Former Bus Driver With A Killer Infection

Real Name
    Ruud

Default How Cleaning The Aquarium Left This Former Bus Driver With A Killer Infection

Hello guys,

I just want to leave this article here for you to read:

http://www.knowlio.org/how-cleaning-...95034917244072

I know the chances are a million to one, but I am going to buy a siphon starter.
    Last edited by ruudvk; 03-23-2017 at 06:42 AM.

Default Re: How Cleaning The Aquarium Left This Former Bus Driver With A Killer Infection

Yikes! I heard there are some corals that can be toxic too but absolutely no tank water should not be in your mouth!

Since I can't use a Python I use a gas syphon attached to my hose and drain the water out the window. Fits perfectly and costs $2 at Home Depot.

syphon.jpg
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: How Cleaning The Aquarium Left This Former Bus Driver With A Killer Infection

Quote Originally Posted by ruudvk View Post
    Hello guys,

I just want to leave this article here for you to read:

http://www.knowlio.org/how-cleaning-...95034917244072

I know the chances are a million to one, but I am going to buy a siphon starter.
    Interesting read Ruud .
    We can only hope that we are not going to be that "lucky" one in a million aquarium keeper that gets affected by Mycobacterium Marinum since it can cause us troubles even if we only soak our hands in aquarium water with an open sore on our hands and not only by inhaling or swallowing it.
    God knows how many times I had a sip of aquarium water during siphoning or even worse doing maintenance with fresh cut sores on my hands .

After finding skin infections on the exposed portions of my arms, the parts that aren't covered by a typical t-shirt, the dermatologist asked me about my hobbies. I told him that I keep fish and often put my arms into the tank. He immediately concluded that I probably had "Fish Handlers Disease" and from now on I would need to wear full latex gloves to cover any portion of my arms exposed to the water.

Forget the fact that I'd been doing this for 20+ years w/o any problem. He gave me an antibiotic prescription, maybe Penicillin, and the infections went away. The tissue biopsy came back negative so it was just something probably related to spring allergies and maybe something from the gym, I didn't have "Fish Handlers Disease" which I looked up and found that none of the symptoms are the same.

It's always a good idea to consult a professional if you have any doubts about your health but be wary of doctors making snap diagnosis, this one said he still stood by his original diagnosis even though the symptoms weren't anything similar. Really? Glad I didn't buy those crazy full arm gloves.
    Last edited by DISCUS STU; 03-24-2017 at 11:31 AM.

I wear these most of the time when I'm in the tank.
    https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Glove-W...+rubber+gloves
    I thought they would be awful to wear but they are pretty good!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I wear these most of the time when I'm in the tank.
    https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Glove-W...+rubber+gloves
    I thought they would be awful to wear but they are pretty good!
    Wouldn't the nitrile coating be bad for the fish?
    Jay

Don't know for sure, but its not like the nitrile is breaking down at a fast enough rate to expose the fish?

I have been using them for months, the fish actually nip at them during water changes, have not seen any adverse affects on fish.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Don't know for sure, but its not like the nitrile is breaking down at a fast enough rate to expose the fish?

I have been using them for months, the fish actually nip at them during water changes, have not seen any adverse affects on fish.
    Thanks neptune. I don't suck water to start a siphon, I just bury the hose and let it fill with water and go from there. But, I have certainly
    Put my arms in the tanks for the last 65 years so maybe it's time to rethink this.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Thanks neptune. I don't suck water to start a siphon, I just bury the hose and let it fill with water and go from there. But, I have certainly
    Put my arms in the tanks for the last 65 years so maybe it's time to rethink this.
    Jay
    Me too! But with vacuuming the sand every other day I have my full arm submerged in the tank.

Believe me, I'm no germaphobe, I've drank gallons of tank water in my day, and as a farm kid probably been exposed to more stuff that would kill a lesser man! LOL..
    BUT these gloves really aren't bad at all for general cleaning like vacuuming and wiping down the tank.

In fact, I like them because I was always getting my sleeve wet or I'd take me shirt off.(My wife misses that...NOT!LOL).

I hang them in a closest next to the tank on plastic hanger, as the water level is dropping I put them on to get ready to vacuum. Once you get use to them and keep using them it is just part of the routine.