AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: High volume air pump question / advice

Registered Member

Default High volume air pump question / advice

A question for all those with fishrooms with central air, and the best way to have them set up. My situation - I was running an old Aqua One Pond One pump and recently upgraded to a Hopar Eco 50W which is a 60 litre a minute pump which I was told would be more than adequate for the job. I have run 3/4 inch pipe in a loop around the roof, the pump sits on the floor with pvc going from it up to the roof (I have had it raised up to the roof height with no difference) and currently there are around 26 outlets in it running a variety of sponge filters and air uplifts to 10 tanks. The problem is once I put a stone or sponge filter down around 30cm / 12 inches into the tank I get no air coming out of that air line. Does anyone have any tips for me, or is it that this air pump just isn't up to the job?
    cheers

Default Re: High volume air pump question / advice

Are any air valves open that don't have something in the water. I have found in the past that having several open outlets would keep me from getting down to the filters. Is the 3/4 pipe new or have you used it before. When I set up my first run about 5 years ago I was told to use 1 1/4" and this is what I still use. Just wondering if the 3/4" restricts too much air? Certainly not an expert here though.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

No rouge air vales are open, everything is in the water. I had used the 3/4 pipe on a smaller setup, i just added more holes with the bigger pump.

Registered Member

If I understand your setup you come out of the pump with A 3/4 inch pipe up to the ceiling and then into a tee that circles the roof. Why not replace the up pipe with a 1.5 inch pipe into the 3/4 inch loop and see if this fixes your problem? I really do not believe you can flow 6000 lph Through a 3/4 inch pipe, I can barely flow 1200 gallons of water thru a 1 inch pipe.
    What do you think?
    Ron
    Last edited by alron2; 03-24-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks Ron, willing to give it a shot. I'll head to the hardware store tomorrow. So to clarify, 1.5 out of the pump, up the wall and into the 3/4 Tee, and which then feeds the loop?
    cheers
    paul

Registered Member

That is what I would do, even a 1 inch pipe would help a lot,but since the 1.5 or 1.25 inch is pretty cheap I would use the larger if I could find it.
    Ron

Registered Member

I gave it a try, but it didn't do much. After emailing John at Jehmco, I have come to the conclusion this pump is under powered for what I need it for. it goes to show that trying to save a few $$ and go with the cheaper brand / pump doesn't work out in the long run.