AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Co existing...

Registered Member

Red face Co existing...

I currently have a 60 gallon tank with 2 clown loaches, and 6 tetras. I will soon be adding a Red Turquoise Discus to my tank but i would like to have more than 1. Is it possible for 2 male Discus to co exist in the same tank that size without harming one another? I have heard stories of how someone i know had 2 males in their tank and 1 killed the other. I do not want this to happen. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Co existing...

Hi Shebron and welcome to Simply Discus.

The only successful way to keep just 2 discus in a tank is to buy a proven pair of discus.
    Other than that , the minimal recomended number is usually 5-6 discus .They are schooling fish and they need to be kept in a group of min. 5-6 discus to spread the aggression and to make them feel more secure .

Since a proven pair of grown up discus cost as much as 6 juveniles if not more , it would be a better option for you to start with 6 juvies .
    And clown loaches are too boisterous for a juvie discus , so they should go out once you decide to keep discus.

Registered Member

Hello Filip,

Seeing as to how i am a novice fish hobbits would you think it would be better if i simply started with just 1 Discus in the tank along with what i current have?

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Shebron31 View Post
    Hello Filip,

Seeing as to how i am a novice fish hobbits would you think it would be better if i simply started with just 1 Discus in the tank along with what i current have?
    +1...As mentioned above,they are a schooling fish.So the answer is no.

You don't want your first attempt at discus to be a failure. Best thing to do is be patient and wait until you can do things the right way. You will be happy you did

Registered Member

So recommended 5-6 juvie discus with the Tetras and remove the loaches? I dont know if im comfortable with juveniles just yet but the alternative is to buy an established pair??

Real Name
    Filip

So recommended 5-6 juvie discus with the Tetras and remove the loaches? I dont know if im comfortable with juveniles just yet but the alternative is to buy an established pair??
    Yes . Either an established pair or 5 discus .
    They dont have to be juvies . Go with the biggest discus you can currently afford.
    Just 1 discus might end up to be skittish , hiding , not eating and finally get sick .

Registered Member

I was looking at loveaquarim.com they have 5 medium size discus for a decent price. Thanks for all the help guys I love this forum

I was looking at loveaquarim.com they have 5 medium size discus for a decent price. Thanks for all the help guys I love this forum
    I would highly recommend looking through the sponsors page here for consideration for your purchase. They are all trusted source of high quality stock

Registered Member

You need to listen to Ryan, discus are not something you want the cheapest you can find, you want the best value for your money.
    Ron