AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Snails

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul M. Kaplowitz

Default Snails

I have been invaded by small black snails that came in on some plants. I'm picking them out and made a snail trap that I saw on U-Tube. Works very well. Just curious, anyone keep snails in the discus tank and if so what kind?

Default Re: Snails

Quote Originally Posted by pmkappy View Post
    I have been invaded by small black snails that came in on some plants. I'm picking them out and made a snail trap that I saw on U-Tube. Works very well. Just curious, anyone keep snails in the discus tank and if so what kind?
    Get some assassins they will make quick work of your nuisance snails. I keep nerites and assassins in my discus tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul M. Kaplowitz

Hey Ryan, What do the Assassins eat when there are no more small snails? Do they eat the Nerites? Thanks

Hey Ryan, What do the Assassins eat when there are no more small snails? Do they eat the Nerites? Thanks
    Nerites are too big. The assassins are really small and won't eat snails bigger than them. The assassins will scavenge food. Sometimes I drop on some hikari wafers for my corys and the assassins come out of the wood works and pile on them lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul M. Kaplowitz

Thanks, would you recommend a supplier.

Thanks, would you recommend a supplier.
    You can also get rid of them once your problem snails are gone. When I first started my 75 was pretty heavily planted. Every time I walked by I could grab out 4 or 5 snails. I got 3 assassins. At first I didn't see much progress but then I started to see the empty shells piling up. Then my assassins actually started breeding like crazy. I took about 30 to my lfs.

I moved a bunch to my planted but there are still some in my discus tank. I'm not sure how many I have in there now. I'd be willing to send you some but may be just cheaper to buy from lfs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul M. Kaplowitz

Thanks for the offer. I'll see what I can find locally. PMK