AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New to Discus, not to fishkeeping. Help please...

Registered Member

Exclamation New to Discus, not to fishkeeping. Help please...

I have decided to start keeping discus, money being the holding factor until now. I have a 46gal bowfront tank,and am thinking on stocking it with 4 discus(rock hardscape and only 1/4 inck of sand for substrate). i have an aquaclear 110 HOB and 2 Fluval heaters. Am i on the right track with my current idea, or is 46gal ok for 4 discus. im buying from Uncle Sams Discus and am getting the about 4 1/2 inches. YAY or NAY and why please..

Thank you

Default Re: New to Discus, not to fishkeeping. Help please...

You're on the right track, but a little light on the number of discus - 5 fish is usually the minimum recommended number to maintain reasonable pecking order harmony - and 46 gals is on the small size for keeping 5 discus, but certainly doable if no other tank-mates are included. Consider moving up to 60 gal or larger if feasible, and get 6 fish.
    4.5" discus is a good size to begin with as a novice discus-keeper - they are near adult, have fairly well-developed immune systems, and are much more tolerant of less than ideal water quality and occasional lack of attentive daily care, than any smaller size than that. The added cost of larger fish over younger, smaller specimens is well worth the lessened risk of keeping them healthy & thriving.
    It's a great idea to limit any décor, so your planned light sand layer and moderate rockscape is well considered. Minimalism is key to allowing for easy tank cleansing.
    Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 03-25-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    You're on the right track, but a little light on the number of discus - 5 fish is usually the minimum recommended number to maintain reasonable pecking order harmony - and 46 gals is on the small size for keeping 5 discus, but certainly doable if no other tank-mates are included. Consider moving up to 60 gal or larger if feasible, and get 6 fish.
    4.5" discus is a good size to begin with as a novice discus-keeper - they are near adult, have fairly well-developed immune systems, and are much more tolerant of less than ideal water quality and occasional lack of attentive daily care, than any smaller size than that. The added cost of larger fish over younger, smaller specimens is well worth the lessened risk of keeping them healthy & thriving.
    It's a great idea to limit any décor, so your planned light sand layer and moderate rockscape is well considered. Minimalism is key to allowing for easy tank cleansing.
    Best of luck to you.
    Thank you for the feedback, a bigger tank is on the horizon for sure. I wanna wait till a dollar per gallon sale at petco and get a 90 gallon. If 46gal won't hurt them for about 9 months to a year, then I will continue with my little master plan (lol) and follow your recommendation on getting 5, and yes ONLY discus will be in the tank. Thank you for you valuable info. Cheers.

Real Name
    Filip

Hi Montana and welcome to the forum .
    I double Paul's advice's and encourage you to follow your plan and start with only 5 discus in your 46 G tank . Its rather on the small size but certainly doable if you keep things in your tank simple and do the regular maintenance .
    I would just add that starting from zero with a sterilized (bleached )tank and equipment is the safest way to start with discus .
    So without any other obstacles on your way , we are eagerly expecting photos of your new discus in your new setup .
    Good luck and keep us updated .

Real Name
    Francis

IMO I like the 40 gallons breeder tank 36.2" x 18.3" x 17" for 4-6 juv discus to grow them ISO 46 bowfront tank.

PS

What is the dimensions of yr 46 gallons tank?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Petco doesn't sell 90's in the dollar per gallon sale. The biggest is 75 and they are only in select markets. The average Petco market sells 55 as the biggest. Try to find a larger tank on craigslist now. I would not start out with the 46 but would rather see you get the bigger tank before undertaking discus for the first time.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    IMO I like the 40 gallons breeder tank 36.2" x 18.3" x 17" for 4-6 juv discus to grow them ISO 46 bowfront tank.

PS

What is the dimensions of yr 46 gallons tank?
    It is 20 inches tall by 30 inches in length. 12 inches wide at the ends with the bowfront at 16 inches wide at the center.

Registered Member

I have steralized EVERYTHING. lol. Regular matinence wont be an issue as i work from home. i will have an hour or 2 everyday to dedicate to these fish. light sand (1/4) inch and rock is all im doing for the look of the tank as i want easy cleaning. i will post pics as soon a i scape the tank. (in about a week) then im going to cycle to tank with tetras for 2 months befor adding the fish.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Petco doesn't sell 90's in the dollar per gallon sale. The biggest is 75 and they are only in select markets. The average Petco market sells 55 as the biggest. Try to find a larger tank on craigslist now. I would not start out with the 46 but would rather see you get the bigger tank before undertaking discus for the first time.
    I have every intention of getting a bigger tank for these guys. i am almost done renovating my basement to be able to house a few tanks. once that is done in about 6 months time a can get as big as 100gal. will they be ok till then in my 46 bowfront?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi Montana and welcome to the forum .
    I double Paul's advice's and encourage you to follow your plan and start with only 5 discus in your 46 G tank . Its rather on the small size but certainly doable if you keep things in your tank simple and do the regular maintenance .
    I would just add that starting from zero with a sterilized (bleached )tank and equipment is the safest way to start with discus .
    So without any other obstacles on your way , we are eagerly expecting photos of your new discus in your new setup .
    Good luck and keep us updated .
    Will do, thankyou so much for the timely response. im so excited to keep these fish as i have wanted to for 10yrs now. Cant wait to show them off to all of you

Quote Originally Posted by montanamantis View Post
    I have every intention of getting a bigger tank for these guys. i am almost done renovating my basement to be able to house a few tanks. once that is done in about 6 months time a can get as big as 100gal. will they be ok till then in my 46 bowfront?
    Sounds like you are committed to doing the work necessary and if that is the case they yes it can be done. Too often we have people say they have great intentions of getting a larger tank and it often never happens. Quite often we here people say they are up for the time commitment and that doesn't pan out either. For these reasons I would rather push someone new to discus into the easiest path available to have them be successful. I simply don't want to encourage someone into something that has to potential to put them in the disease section down the road.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Sounds like you are committed to doing the work necessary and if that is the case they yes it can be done. Too often we have people say they have great intentions of getting a larger tank and it often never happens. Quite often we here people say they are up for the time commitment and that doesn't pan out either. For these reasons I would rather push someone new to discus into the easiest path available to have them be successful. I simply don't want to encourage someone into something that has to potential to put them in the disease section down the road.
    I have some money put away for a bigger tank. I have a fish room already so I'm into the hobby to much, both in time and money, to neglect them. I can see why you recommend bigger is better, I appreciate your cander. But have no fear, I'm not "ONE of thoes" fishkeepers. I really will get a bigger tank, I'm just a taxpayer. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by montanamantis View Post
    I have some money put away for a bigger tank. I have a fish room already so I'm into the hobby to much, both in time and money, to neglect them. I can see why you recommend bigger is better, I appreciate your cander. But have no fear, I'm not "ONE of thoes" fishkeepers. I really will get a bigger tank, I'm just a taxpayer. Lol.
    Cool. Look forward to seeing what you do.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President