ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Building a 125 stand...will this work

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default Building a 125 stand...will this work

Hello everyone, I recently saw this during research for my build. Will it work with no support in front. Would like to throw a 55 under for a sump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Building a 125 stand...will this work

On your bottom pic...flip flop your corner pieces. They need to overlap the seem from the upper ones

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

But will the 2x6 support the 125 with not middle front support. I remember reading this before but am not sure if that was correct. I believe you couldn't use a 2x4 with that span but a 2x6 was fine for 72" span?? I just don't want the tank to come crashing down once I fill it...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Can you clarify flip flop the corner comment not sure I understand

Quote Originally Posted by Moon27021 View Post
    Yeah, I'm confused too. Kept starring at it! Glad I'm not the only one. That said, it's crazy how many pounds per square foot a simple 2 x 4 can take but I still tend to over do it . Looks good but my only hesitance is that I put my vertical pieces from floor to tank rather than between horizontal. Otherwise it's all on the screws + 2 introduced POFs when connecting vertical to 2 horizontal pieces of lumber. Even with the inner 2 x 4 braces I see on the corners, it's unmeasurable how much strain is on hardware and how much on lumber. You want the strain on the lumber.
    -Elliot

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

It looks okay to me without a vertical support in the front center. The beam across the front has two boards so that the strength is doubled. If the two boards are face joined with glue and plenty of screws they will act like a single, stronger, beam. Like a glue-lam.

On the corners the load appears to go from wood to wood to floor without screws carrying weight, and that works. If it does the same in the back it should be fine.

I would only change one thing. It would be better if the vertical supports in the corners reach all the way to the floor, rather than sandwiching the 2x4 the way they do. I think this is what Ryan is referring to.

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post

I would only change one thing. It would be better if the vertical supports in the corners reach all the way to the floor, rather than sandwiching the 2x4 the way they do. I think this is what Ryan is referring to.
    Exactly my thought as well.
    The idea behind properly supporting weight is making sure the corners are structurally sound vertically. I would also rest tank on 1/2" Styrofoam sheet same foot-print to cushion any slight imperfections.
    If you want a 55g for a sump make sure as above...corners of tank sump are supported and not over-hanging cross joists.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Moon27021 View Post
    I will do best I can without making a drawing lol.
    Let's picture front left corner
    So your vertical 2x6 at the corner is lined up with the horizontal 2x6 above it. You want that vertical 2x6 to cross the joint so that both horizontal rest on it. The way it is the front horizontal board rests on the front vertical and the side horizontal rests on the side vertical. You want to move the front vertical over the thickness of the board then slide the side one forward. That would make the side vertical board splitting the load between the two horizontal. Can't tell from pic but it looks like back may be done the way I am talking about

Are you using a glass tank or acrylic?

Registered Member

If you are worried about the front pair of 2 by 6's bowing you could sandwich a piece of 3/4 inch plywood in it like making a header for a wide door opening.
    Ron