AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Stunted little guy

Registered Member

Default Stunted little guy

So I believe I have a stunted little yellow discus. What should I do? He is in Quarentine with another yellow discus. He eats very well. Almost better than most if I must say. He has always had a bit of fin rot, mostly from other discus picking on him. Not quite sure what I should be doing with him. He's only 3 inches but I've had him for about a year he's maybe ground a half inch but more or less likely not at all. Can anyone help me?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Stunted little guy

as long as my stunted discus r healthy i let them live in the main tank. the fin rot sounds iffy tho. even my smallest guy doesnt have damage from the other fish... if he is getting picked on a lot and injured, id be worried about stress leading to illness. How many fish do u have in the tank? How large is it?

I have a runt, he just lives happily in the display tank. It is not even low fish on the totem pole!
    He is actually putting on some size and catching up a little!

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I have a runt, he just lives happily in the display tank. It is not even low fish on the totem pole!
    He is actually putting on some size and catching up a little!
    My runt turned into a stud but 3" after a year I am sure the little guy is done growing.

Like Kyla says if he is happy and healthy then no worries. It all depends on our individual expectations of our tanks. Not all of us require show quality or text book discus to be happy with a display tank. For me as long as they are healthy and my family enjoys them them why not

Registered Member

Yea I was iffy too Kayla. But he's healthy otherwise. They are in a quarentine 29 with 1 large 2 small plecs and a medium to smaller discus. Minimum 50 % Water changes every day.
    Last edited by Discus18; 03-27-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

I guess he is done growing after keeping him for a year or more . if you are not bothered with its size there is nothing you can do except to decide whether you like to keep him or give him away for some exchange to LFS or other discus keeper.

Registered Member

Oh good thinking giving to lfs. Thanks!

Real Name
    Francis

I will keep the runt discus and when u get more discus in the future and may use it as the guinea pig......When introducing new stock, take one of your least favorite existing stock(this might sound mean but there's no other way to accomplish this without adding at least one "old" fish to your new additions), and add it to the QT tank...observe for the next 2 weeks...if there is no issues that develops in the QT, then you may try to mix the groups of fish.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Good call Seanyuki, a guinea pig is actually a smart idea since I will be stocking quite often here soon