ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Default 65 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

Finally got everything setup after waiting for what seemed like forever! Recent additions are 4 Stendker Discus Flachen X Snakeskin, Leopard Snakeskin, Brilliant Turquoise, Pigeon Blood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cjvdhx; 03-26-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Default Re: 65 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

Why are you posting ? Just to show your tank ? What do you want to know ?
    Your planted tank looks clean, and your fish look healthy & ok.
    How else can we help you ?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Why are you posting ? Just to show your tank ? What do you want to know ?
    Your planted tank looks clean, and your fish look healthy & ok.
    How else can we help you ?
    Hi Paul, the first post was in the moderation queue. Perhaps now that you can see it will place the thread in context.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Maybe I'm a bit thick tonight, but I still don't get the drift of what is set out here, and what is looked for by way of an answer.
    Please explain it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Maybe I'm a bit thick tonight, but I still don't get the drift of what is set out here, and what is looked for by way of an answer.
    Please explain it to me.
    Paul seems the OP is just trying to show their new fish in their planted tank in the planted tank section here....

What I will say is that the black substrate is not doing your fish any favors. My cobalt used to look very dark like that as well as many of my other fish. Switching to white sand was night and day in look of the fish. Colors were almost instantly more vibrant.

With that said your tank looks nice. Keep up with wc and tank maintenance it isn't the easiest thing with discus in a planted.

Registered Member

I like your Tank OP. I have the same aquascaping idea for my future 65 gallon. Except that I'll be using less plants, and a white sand substrate to Make their colors pop more.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Thanks guys and gals! I really wanted black substrate!! tired of pool filter sand and I was aware that there might be some "peppering" my pigeon blood actually started peppering a little already and TBH I think it looks more natural and I like it. I did remove the solid black background as I felt that would have been too much. Hopefully as the plants fill in everything will become more vibrant.

Real Name
    Filip

4 is a tricky number to keep discus .There might be potential aggression problems and sick fish as a final result of constant chasing .
    You better add 2 more discus to the batch .

Black substrate will affect and darken the colours on all of your discus , and not just your peppered PB . Your SS and BD and BT are already dark in appearance.
    But if you are not dissatisfied with their dulled colours there is absolutely nothing else wrong keeping them with dark substrate .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    4 is a tricky number to keep discus .There might be potential aggression problems and sick fish as a final result of constant chasing .
    You better add 2 more discus to the batch .

Black substrate will affect and darken the colours on all of your discus , and not just your peppered PB . Your SS and BD and BT are already dark in appearance.
    But if you are not dissatisfied with their dulled colours there is absolutely nothing else wrong keeping them with dark substrate .
    I have plans to add 1-2 more discus from Hans here in the near future. What stendker strains would you recommend so that peppering won't be a huge problem and eye sore? I've had my heart set on a checkerboard but I know that will pepper. Also there colors are very vibrant and colorful it may be the way the picture was taken or the lightning. Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by cjvdhx View Post
    I have plans to add 1-2 more discus from Hans here in the near future. What stendker strains would you recommend so that peppering won't be a huge problem and eye sore? I've had my heart set on a checkerboard but I know that will pepper. Also there colors are very vibrant and colorful it may be the way the picture was taken or the lightning. Thanks for your help
    Only the various pb strains will pepper. Checkerboard would fall under that category. Quality breeding has minimized the amount of peppering but it will still happen. Mine have very little from being in the tank with dark substrate. It affected the other fish as well. Almost instantly they became brighter when switching from dark to light. Here is the difference in my cobalt almost immediately. 228201712211.jpg2282017122150.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by cjvdhx View Post
    Peppering ocures only with PB based discus.
    Other colours and variations do not pepper , they just get a bit darker , camouflaging with the dark environment .And I think this darkening adresses all discus, more or less , depending on their colour and strain .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Peppering ocures only with PB based discus.
    Other colours and variations do not pepper , they just get a bit darker , camouflaging with the dark environment .And I think this darkening adresses all discus, more or less , depending on their colour and strain .
    I understand what you mean now by 4 being a tricky number. My flachen snakeskin can be skittish sometimes and when he has a panic the rest of them start freaking out too. By adding two more would this be minimized in your opinion? Also here's my current stocking: 65 planted

14-15 neon tetra
    1 Bolivian ram
    1 black phantom tetra
    6 sterbai corydoras
    1 snail
    6 amano shrimp
    4 stendker discus

Registered Member

I was going to post how much your tank looks like mine even down to the hans fish and I see you posted the same on my post from a few days back....weird! Looks great!How is your tall grass doing I just added grass to mine it didn't arrive in the best shape and it's not doing too well. Where did you get yours if it's doing well? Here's an updated picture of my 65gIMG_1443.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoussock View Post
    I was going to post how much your tank looks like mine even down to the hans fish and I see you posted the same on my post from a few days back....weird! Looks great!How is your tall grass doing I just added grass to mine it didn't arrive in the best shape and it's not doing too well. Where did you get yours if it's doing well? Here's an updated picture of my 65gIMG_1443.jpg
    The jungle Val in the back grows crazy I bought it at lfs same with the dwarf sag up front. Your tank looks great. How long have you had those 5?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast