AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 65 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

Registered Member

Default Re: 65 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

Front and back are from an lfs the middle three are hans got them in September at 5"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoussock View Post
    Front and back are from an lfs the middle three are hans got them in September at 5"
    They look really good! Im somewhat struggling right now with a group of 4 the one sometimes freaks out causing the rest of them to do the same. I'm wondering if I add one more if it will help much? Have you had any problems? I'm also wondering if it's because I don't have a background it's just a plain white wall behind the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by cjvdhx View Post
    They look really good! Im somewhat struggling right now with a group of 4 the one sometimes freaks out causing the rest of them to do the same. I'm wondering if I add one more if it will help much? Have you had any problems? I'm also wondering if it's because I don't have a background it's just a plain white wall behind the tank.
    I don't have a background on my tank. If you have only had them for weeks they are still settling. I used to have to move slowly passed my tank. It's in a high traffic area. No my kid can run by with no issues. When I change water I have to push them with the python our of the way.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I don't have a background on my tank. If you have only had them for weeks they are still settling. I used to have to move slowly passed my tank. It's in a high traffic area. No my kid can run by with no issues. When I change water I have to push them with the python our of the way.
    Well that's good to hear. I'm thinking about going to see Hans again this weekend and picking up 1-2 more and hopefully they will feel a little more secure. I'm thinking maybe about putting a white background on the back just until the plants fill in more and see if that helps?

Registered Member

Whats the temp in your tank?

Well that's good to hear. I'm thinking about going to see Hans again this weekend and picking up 1-2 more and hopefully they will feel a little more secure. I'm thinking maybe about putting a white background on the back just until the plants fill in more and see if that helps?
    It could.

Plants will all depend on lighting and ferts. My plants grew like crazy but sadly they all had to go. I was constantly trimming vals and swords. 230201773638.jpgGlad I did otherwise I would have ended up with sub par fish.

230201773740.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Davidzil View Post

It could.

Plants will all depend on lighting and ferts. My plants grew like crazy but sadly they all had to go. I was constantly trimming vals and swords. 230201773638.jpgGlad I did otherwise I would have ended up with sub par fish.

230201773740.jpg
    My setup almost looks identical to yours except I don't have as many plants. You don't have a background either no problems?

My setup almost looks identical to yours except I don't have as many plants. You don't have a background either no problems?
    Nope no background. I had black then tried a blue but noticed some pepper on my pbs which went away when I removed it. When I finish my sump I will frost the back to hide the pipes

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Davidzil View Post
    Nope no background. I had black then tried a blue but noticed some pepper on my pbs which went away when I removed it. When I finish my sump I will frost the back to hide the pipes
    Were they skittish at all when you first got them? I'm debating if it's worth it to get one more or not.

Were they skittish at all when you first got them? I'm debating if it's worth it to get one more or not.
    Of course. I think all are. Give them time they will settle in and get used to you and your routines.
    I spook mine occasionally but it's uncommon.

Registered Member

Very nicely decorated 65's! I have discus in two 65's and am not happy with the looks. You have inspired me to change things around as yours looks great.

Real Name
    Filip

Getting 2 more discus is an advice mainly pointed toward lessening the potential aggression in your discus batch, although it might help with discus feeling more secure and thus less skittish too .
    With only 4 discus the low totem discus can get chased away constantly by the alpha discus in the tank resulting health deterioration over the period time .
    Getting a bigger batch spreads this aggression from the alpha among more discus and they are left alone and not bullied that much.
    So its more a thing about the dynamics of your discus batch .

Removing your background is not a wise thing to do in their initial adjusting stage IMO , especially if you have movement and lights in the back of your tank . You will take out their only secure hiding spot .
    After they are comfortable and adjusted 1-2 months from now , you can keep them with all 4 sides of the tank open if you like .

For now, I think their skittish and darting behaviour is mainly because they are still new to your environment , so I think they will be all right in a couple of weeks .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fundulopanchax View Post
    Very nicely decorated 65's! I have discus in two 65's and am not happy with the looks. You have inspired me to change things around as yours looks great.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Getting 2 more discus is an advice mainly pointed toward lessening the potential aggression in your discus batch, although it might help with discus feeling more secure and thus less skittish too .
    With only 4 discus the low totem discus can get chased away constantly by the alpha discus in the tank resulting health deterioration over the period time .
    Getting a bigger batch spreads this aggression from the alpha among more discus and they are left alone and not bullied that much.
    So its more a thing about the dynamics of your discus batch .

Removing your background is not a wise thing to do in their initial adjusting stage IMO , especially if you have movement and lights in the back of your tank . You will take out their only secure hiding spot .
    After they are comfortable and adjusted 1-2 months from now , you can keep them with all 4 sides of the tank open if you like .

For now, I think their skittish and darting behaviour is mainly because they are still new to your environment , so I think they will be all right in a couple of weeks .
    Thanks man you have been a huge help! I actually removed the black background before I purchased the discus so there environment now has been un changed since I've had them. I went to Hans again this weekend and had plans to get two more to make it 6 even however I just ended up purchasing 1 to make it 5 total I've talked to a lot of people who have said 5/6 seems to work well and be considered the norm. Purchased a beautiful 4" stendker checkerboard. My wife actually picked it out LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12