AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Recurring issue

Registered Member

Default Recurring issue

So this is becoming a recurring issue. What do I do? Just laid while I was at work today. Turn off canister? I have another sponge I can put in there if needed...
    image.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Recurring issue

is there a cone in the tank? if not, u could try giving them a cone where they might lay their eggs instead of the filter intake

Registered Member

I have a clay pot in there that I tried after the first time but they have never got that hang of it. Bought a cone on Amazon but it's literally taking weeks because I went cheap ☹️ And it's from china. Instead of buying it with prime shipping ha
    Also Kayla should I turn the canister off? And put another spong in there instead?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

if u turn it off and put a new sponge in u will lose the beneficial bacteria in ur canister filter. if u are actually trying to breed the fish u could switch to a sponge, but u would need to run the sponge in the tank with the canister filter for weeks while BB grows on the sponge. i wouldnt worry too much about those specific eggs, they will lay again. maybe just let them practice with those eggs while u set up the sponge for future use. a canister filter is too strong for the fry, it would suck them up.

Registered Member

But I already have 1 spong in there atm if I add the second the bb will still be on the first sponge yes? Then I could turn canister off and just let the eggs sit there without being sucked up through the intake right?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

maybe. but if u r running both a canister and a sponge it is likely the canister has some of the total BB in it. Because BB grow to match the ammonia produced in a tank, removing the canister from the equation would lessen the # of BB in ur tank. it might take a little while for the remaining BB to increase back to the original total # of BB. having a sponge in there already does help. if u shut it off canister just be sure to test the water for ammonia/nitrite and increase water changes to compensate if there are any spikes. i would increase wc for a while even if i didnt see any detectable toxins, but im prob just paranoid.

Registered Member

It looks like there are some fertile eggs. I normally
    would disconnect the intake and hatch separately
    or place a screen around the intake after shutting off
    the intake.

Cliff

Registered Member

I just went with 2 sponges and put my canister on my new 75 ensemble I just got for 100$ at petsmart. Things are looking great to be honest. I will post a picture of full set up tomorrow.