AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Terrible two avoid others from eating

Registered Member

Default Terrible two avoid others from eating

Started a new 5 foot tank with 6 discus in. Two paired up and have taken over the feeding corner. They will not allow any of the others
    to eat and make very vicious attacks when they try. I tried chasing them off but they defend the corner regardless. Even when they had their fill they still hang around not feeding but defending. The other 4 have started picking off at the rummy noise & cardinals as a result. I am still a newbie at this, should they be this aggressive? Is there anything I can do?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Terrible two avoid others from eating

Use a egg crate divider to separate the other four from the pair,you can get egg crate from Home Depot
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Can you feed on opposite ends of the tank ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i would also put a divider in if its real bad. i had to remove the male of one of my pairs because the aggression was nuts. ive got him back in the tank now after many months in another tank of discus, and he is getting along great. im worried he may pair up again, and three females laid eggs right after i added him back to the tank, but he wasnt interested in nesting or guarding (thank goodness!). if he falls in love again im doomed!

Registered Member

As most people I jumped in the hobby With a planted tank & expensive soil. Should have read Discus for dummies or joined this forum before....lol. That said I cleared one corner to bb for feeding. It will take a lot of effort to clear other side of tank of plant, soil & driftwood. I put in a small plastic tray and it seems to confuse the pair just enough to give the others a mouthful.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

The simple answer is to clear 2 areas to feed or get feeding cones for seperate feeding stations...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    i would also put a divider in if its real bad. i had to remove the male of one of my pairs because the aggression was nuts. ive got him back in the tank now after many months in another tank of discus, and he is getting along great. im worried he may pair up again, and three females laid eggs right after i added him back to the tank, but he wasnt interested in nesting or guarding (thank goodness!). if he falls in love again im doomed!
    sorry i misread this as general aggression from the breeding pair, if the other fish arent molested outside from feeding i would feed on both sides of the tank also

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    As most people I jumped in the hobby With a planted tank & expensive soil. Should have read Discus for dummies or joined this forum before....lol. That said I cleared one corner to bb for feeding. It will take a lot of effort to clear other side of tank of plant, soil & driftwood. I put in a small plastic tray and it seems to confuse the pair just enough to give the others a mouthful.
    Fdbw cubes are great for that. You can stick them to the glass in opposite areas

I too was like you. I tossed 120# of eco complete and all my thriving plants. Was sad to do so but couldn't be happier with results. Appearance and growth of the fish is night and day