ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New 55g Setup Age ol' Stand Leveling Problem/Question

Registered Member

Default New 55g Setup Age ol' Stand Leveling Problem/Question

Hello all!

I've seen this posted before all across the internet but I wanted to actually ask some veteran fish keepers for myself based on my situation. I bought a used stand with a 55g tank and I ended up not using the tank but going and buying a new one at Petco. The stand is a frame style stand with an open top, meant for a rimmed glass tank to sit with the plastic rim resting around the perimeter of the stand. The stand is not a homemade stand but it is not new either. The stand is about 10 years old and was in use up until the point that I picked it up from its previous owner. I have shimmed the stand to the floor to get the stand level but when placing the tank on the stand, the left front corner has a credit card sized gap but touches all 3 other corners. Any chance the stand will flex and close this gap when filled? Should i reface the top of the tank with plywood and level the plywood when screwing it down? I'm terrified of the tank breaking because of unequal stress. I was going to use a soft foam as I have seen tons of people using that before, but I've never used it before. There are no fish and no water at this point, but it is hardscaped. I can always take it apart to make corrections, I just dont want to have to build or replace the stand as I have spend a few long hours trimming it out with base and crown mldg as well as a canopy.

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Default Re: New 55g Setup Age ol' Stand Leveling Problem/Question

I had a 125 crack because i diden't seeit raised in one corner. Try a piece of 3/4 plywood & see if that levels it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMc88 View Post
    Hello all!

I've seen this posted before all across the internet but I wanted to actually ask some veteran fish keepers for myself based on my situation. I bought a used stand with a 55g tank and I ended up not using the tank but going and buying a new one at Petco. The stand is a frame style stand with an open top, meant for a rimmed glass tank to sit with the plastic rim resting around the perimeter of the stand. The stand is not a homemade stand but it is not new either. The stand is about 10 years old and was in use up until the point that I picked it up from its previous owner. I have shimmed the stand to the floor to get the stand level but when placing the tank on the stand, the left front corner has a credit card sized gap but touches all 3 other corners. Any chance the stand will flex and close this gap when filled? Should i reface the top of the tank with plywood and level the plywood when screwing it down? I'm terrified of the tank breaking because of unequal stress. I was going to use a soft foam as I have seen tons of people using that before, but I've never used it before. There are no fish and no water at this point, but it is hardscaped. I can always take it apart to make corrections, I just dont want to have to build or replace the stand as I have spend a few long hours trimming it out with base and crown mldg as well as a canopy.

Thanks!
    The foam that homedepot and lowes sells , usually a blue or green comes should compress to level that. I have some of the most un-even floors you can imagine and this is what I do for cases like this.. I am sure the simple shims they sell for installing doors and window frames will work also for you in this case.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

When I push down on that corner of the tank, it slightly rocks. Is the foam going to take out for that? Its fairly dense and I don't think it would compress enough. I'm sure I'm over thinking this as my 29g hospital tank and ageing tank in my basement aren't touching on one corner and 'im using a piece of cardboard under it an its been fine. But this is in my living room and I don't want it to break. I don't mind if the front and back aren't touching, but I would think all 4 corners should have even pressure right?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DAVID

When you put all that weight in it it will sort out where it is. I filled mine with just water and checked how level it was then. I like the all steel stand at petsmart.

Real Name
    Willie

Go with the foam. Think of it as a $10 insurance policy.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.