ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New 55g Setup Age ol' Stand Leveling Problem/Question

Registered Member

Default New 55g Setup Age ol' Stand Leveling Problem/Question

Hello all!

I've seen this posted before all across the internet but I wanted to actually ask some veteran fish keepers for myself based on my situation. I bought a used stand with a 55g tank and I ended up not using the tank but going and buying a new one at Petco. The stand is a frame style stand with an open top, meant for a rimmed glass tank to sit with the plastic rim resting around the perimeter of the stand. The stand is not a homemade stand but it is not new either. The stand is about 10 years old and was in use up until the point that I picked it up from its previous owner. I have shimmed the stand to the floor to get the stand level but when placing the tank on the stand, the left front corner has a credit card sized gap but touches all 3 other corners. Any chance the stand will flex and close this gap when filled? Should i reface the top of the tank with plywood and level the plywood when screwing it down? I'm terrified of the tank breaking because of unequal stress. I was going to use a soft foam as I have seen tons of people using that before, but I've never used it before. There are no fish and no water at this point, but it is hardscaped. I can always take it apart to make corrections, I just dont want to have to build or replace the stand as I have spend a few long hours trimming it out with base and crown mldg as well as a canopy.

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Default Re: New 55g Setup Age ol' Stand Leveling Problem/Question

I had a 125 crack because i diden't seeit raised in one corner. Try a piece of 3/4 plywood & see if that levels it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMc88 View Post
    Hello all!

I've seen this posted before all across the internet but I wanted to actually ask some veteran fish keepers for myself based on my situation. I bought a used stand with a 55g tank and I ended up not using the tank but going and buying a new one at Petco. The stand is a frame style stand with an open top, meant for a rimmed glass tank to sit with the plastic rim resting around the perimeter of the stand. The stand is not a homemade stand but it is not new either. The stand is about 10 years old and was in use up until the point that I picked it up from its previous owner. I have shimmed the stand to the floor to get the stand level but when placing the tank on the stand, the left front corner has a credit card sized gap but touches all 3 other corners. Any chance the stand will flex and close this gap when filled? Should i reface the top of the tank with plywood and level the plywood when screwing it down? I'm terrified of the tank breaking because of unequal stress. I was going to use a soft foam as I have seen tons of people using that before, but I've never used it before. There are no fish and no water at this point, but it is hardscaped. I can always take it apart to make corrections, I just dont want to have to build or replace the stand as I have spend a few long hours trimming it out with base and crown mldg as well as a canopy.

Thanks!
    The foam that homedepot and lowes sells , usually a blue or green comes should compress to level that. I have some of the most un-even floors you can imagine and this is what I do for cases like this.. I am sure the simple shims they sell for installing doors and window frames will work also for you in this case.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

When I push down on that corner of the tank, it slightly rocks. Is the foam going to take out for that? Its fairly dense and I don't think it would compress enough. I'm sure I'm over thinking this as my 29g hospital tank and ageing tank in my basement aren't touching on one corner and 'im using a piece of cardboard under it an its been fine. But this is in my living room and I don't want it to break. I don't mind if the front and back aren't touching, but I would think all 4 corners should have even pressure right?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DAVID

When you put all that weight in it it will sort out where it is. I filled mine with just water and checked how level it was then. I like the all steel stand at petsmart.

Real Name
    Willie

Go with the foam. Think of it as a $10 insurance policy.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.