AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: discus PM

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

Default discus PM

does anyone recommend the use of routine preventive treatment for discus tank and what? nine juveniles in 90 gal tank

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: discus PM

The majority of discus keepers here on SD do not use any routined or preventative treatments for discus .
    The only preventative treatment that's usually recommended here is deworming on the start and in particular for Wild discus and for LFS or other untrustworth source discus .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I don't know if you will allow this as a "preventative treatment" but many of us use Rooibos tea for our discus fish. It has characteristics that are natural antibodies for fish.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

reason i ask is because i had one juvi that became anti social, did not feed and set in the corner by himself,got out grown by the rest, finally i saw some white feces out of him,,, internal parasites? gave up on him but didnt want rest of the brood infected so i tried some "herbtana" a 100 % herbal concoction touted to treat half a dozen types of parasites, a 10 day treatment, and i'll be damned if after 3-4 days he didnt start to come around and after 10 days hes back to normal and actually becoming a bit of a bully at feeding time,,, must be a proprietary formula cause ingredients not listed but it makes the whole room smell nicely,, any one know anything about this stuff? whats used for dewarming? just in case...never heard of rooibos tea, how do you use it?
    Last edited by gluedandscrewed; 03-28-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Never heard of " Herbtana" sorry .
    Just focus on fresh and clean water and he will come around once he started eating again .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

not surprised ,, all the way in macedonia,,, hes doing fine, the whole bunch is doing fine in spite of me doing everything contrary to common wisdom,,

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by gluedandscrewed View Post
    not surprised ,, all the way in macedonia,,, hes doing fine, the whole bunch is doing fine in spite of me doing everything contrary to common wisdom,,
    By "never heard of.. " i was referring to the data shared here amongst experienced discus keepers worldwide, and not my local marketplace .
    And maybe if you start complying more with the common wisdom you can prevent another discus going this same route.
    Last edited by Filip; 03-28-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

by "all the way" i meant that 9 out of 10 americans wouldnt know what continent macedonia is on, and i've been keeping fish for over 40 years and the only previous time i was successful with discus was when i put away all the "expert" advice and stuck to the KISS principal,,,, my RO filters and all the chemicals got put way in the barn years ago

Real Name
    Filip

by "all the way" i meant that 9 out of 10 americans wouldnt know what continent macedonia is on, and i've been keeping fish for over 40 years and the only previous time i was successful with discus was when i put away all the "expert" advice and stuck to the KISS principal,,,, my RO filters and all the chemicals got put way in the barn years ago
    Ive understand you perfectly the first time .
    I was trying to say that 9 out of 10 (maybe even less) experienced discus keepers here on this international and worldwide forum, heard or used "Herbtana " in their discus tanks for whatever reason.

And yes , most of us "experts " or "begginers " here on this forum, agree that good old KISS method is the best way for succesfull discus keeping .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

+100 for KISS method. took me a really long time to accept this, because its contrary to what your brain wants to tell you but it really is the best method.

Roibos tea is a tannin additive OP. it stains your water a brown/tan color. Many people trying to immolate biotope environments in their tank use a tannin such as rooibos tea or peat moss. Rooibos is all natural and I guess you could consider it herbal, it has many antioxidant qualities that help keep the fish immune system up. when used in huge quantities it could lower the ph but my 1-2 tablespoons every waterchange doesn't affect PH at all.
    ~JACKLYN~

reason i ask is because i had one juvi that became anti social, did not feed and set in the corner by himself,got out grown by the rest, finally i saw some white feces out of him,,, internal parasites? gave up on him but didnt want rest of the brood infected so i tried some "herbtana" a 100 % herbal concoction touted to treat half a dozen types of parasites, a 10 day treatment, and i'll be damned if after 3-4 days he didnt start to come around and after 10 days hes back to normal and actually becoming a bit of a bully at feeding time,,, must be a proprietary formula cause ingredients not listed but it makes the whole room smell nicely,, any one know anything about this stuff? whats used for dewarming? just in case...never heard of rooibos tea, how do you use it?
    Haha thats funny OP i have this stuff. Im guessing you bought it at Pet Co?

I bought it awhile ago when i had my blood red acting all weird..still use it when i think hes being weird but hes never got "normal" per say. Think he just has something wrong with him or the tank isnt big enough.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

Petco it was lankster,,,first time i ever saw this brand,,,went to their site and i guess they have a whole line of herbal, organic, natural, etc, aquarium products......all i can say is in 40 yrs with fish, its the first time i put a medicating product in a tank and actually say it worked,,, you got me guys,,,what the hell is OP? thinking about just dosing the tank every so often for parasite control,,absolutely did not bother the fish in the least and it makes a great room freshener
    Last edited by gluedandscrewed; 03-29-2017 at 06:36 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

OP = original poster

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

thanks adrian