AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Frozen brine shrimp

Registered Member

Default Frozen brine shrimp

Hi All,
    The reason I put up this post mainly to enquire about nutrition value adult frozen brine shrimp for discus.

Recently, I bought this adult frozen brine shrimp from local supplier, he claimed this is very nutritious to discus fish from 1 inches to 5 inches adult size.

Anyone use FBS for their fish ? I know most of people would say bh is the best... But I dont like the dirtyness water it brings...
    However, I dont just keep FBS, I also have dried australian black worm, forrest pellets and bh with me. Just that, if it is good for discus for growing out then I will use it for main diet and supplement it with others .

Thanks
    Patrick

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Frozen brine shrimp

Hi Patrick.
    I can't recall the exact percentages of protein content of FBS at this moment but it is generally much lower than BH of FDBW . And proteins are most important when it comes to growing discus .
    They are claimed to be 90 % of water from their total weight and low protein content , so I recommend using them only as a occasional treat to your dicus rather then a main food source.

They are also claimed to be effective for cleaning discus Intestine from other protein heavy feeds .

I've also heard that occasional FBS feeds can keep some gut parasites at check because of their salt content but I'm not sure how true this claimings really are .
    Last edited by Filip; 03-29-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Real Name
    Naz

Frozen Brine Shrimp are very low in protein and very high in moisture. Look for guaranteed analysis of San Francisco Bay brand here..................... http://www.sfbb.com/Brine-Shrimp_43.php
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Frozen Brine Shrimp are very low in protein and very high in moisture. Look for guaranteed analysis of San Francisco Bay brand here..................... http://www.sfbb.com/Brine-Shrimp_43.php
    Trying to rate frozen products can be very misleading because of the water content. Brine shrimp is actually about 48% protein I believe. It is much like frozen blood worms which show low in protein also but again it is due to the water content. They are around 48% protein also. I don't buy frozen products like this because of this very reason. You are paying for a lot of water. You could feed freeze dried brine shrimp or freeze dried blood worms but I don't see the point when I already feed freeze dried black worms which are also around 48%. Just buy fdbw's from Al and be done with it. They take up less room to store than frozen and have a great shelf life so you can buy them in quantity cheaper.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Trying to rate frozen products can be very misleading because of the water content....
    I feed mysis to my altum angels and they come in two different packages. One package is 50% water and the other is 10% water. The 10% water package is about 50% more expensive than the 50% water package. The analysis is the same because it's done on a dry weight basis of shrimp.

Caveat emptor, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

hmmm... looks like this FBS not a good idea for discus main course then.... Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Trying to rate frozen products can be very misleading because of the water content. Brine shrimp is actually about 48% protein I believe. It is much like frozen blood worms which show low in protein also but again it is due to the water content. They are around 48% protein also. I don't buy frozen products like this because of this very reason. You are paying for a lot of water. You could feed freeze dried brine shrimp or freeze dried blood worms but I don't see the point when I already feed freeze dried black worms which are also around 48%. Just buy fdbw's from Al and be done with it. They take up less room to store than frozen and have a great shelf life so you can buy them in quantity cheaper.
    This is correct. Apples and oranges. I use Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp only when switching fry from bbs. Works for me.20170123_183946-1_1486621007171_resized.jpg20170123_190824-1_resized.jpg20170123_190928-1_1486620025542_resized.jpg20170123_191144-1_1486620004025_resized.jpg These were grown out on HFBS.
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    This is correct. Apples and oranges. I use Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp only when switching fry from bbs. Works for me.20170123_183946-1_1486621007171_resized.jpg20170123_190824-1_resized.jpg20170123_190928-1_1486620025542_resized.jpg20170123_191144-1_1486620004025_resized.jpg These were grown out on HFBS.
    All really nice but love that last one