ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sump return question

Default Sump return question

Hi guys I am currently in the process of building my sump and at the same time building a stand to house it. My question is about return line location. Is it best to place the return next to the overflow, facing opposite side of tank, or is it better to place it on opposite side facing towards overflow. My thinking is it's best to direct filtered water away from overflow causing the unfiltered water to be directes towards the overflow.

Owning a business in the swimming pool industry I tend to think of things in those terms. Sometimes it applies to fish tanks other times not. In pools we direct the return lines in a circular motion, away from skimmer/intake, to try and prevent dead spots. Obviously achieving full turnover in 25000-30000 gallons is a lot different than doing the same in 75 gallons.

Am I over thinking? Does it really matter? Plumbing the return next to overflow would be ideal since I will be running a uv that is about 36" long. If I put the return on opposite side my return would basically have to do a u-turn at some point either in or out of the uv. Plumbing next to overflow it would be more of a straight shot. Up out of sump, into uv, then up to tank.

Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Default Re: Sump return question

Hey Ryan, congrats on the new build! Very cool...

I am not sure I follow you though? My return is in my over flow, the line returns the filtered water back there and through 2 outlets that face different directions in the tank to disperse the water?

Were you planning to do it different? My water goes into the overflow and down to the sump through 3 chambers and back out the returns into the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Hey Ryan, congrats on the new build! Very cool...

I am not sure I follow you though? My return is in my over flow, the line returns the filtered water back there and through 2 outlets that face different directions in the tank to disperse the water?

Were you planning to do it different? My water goes into the overflow and down to the sump through 3 chambers and back out the returns into the tank.
    So I will be using an external overflow box as my tank is not drilled. I know what you mean where "reef ready " tanks have the return plumbed into the overflow. I will be plumbing a line up from sump to tank for return so can go in the place of my choosing

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Ah! Ok... now it makes sense!

I think I would keep them away then from one another, seems logically, fresh filtered vs the other. I mean in a 75, it will not take long or much to mix, but you get the logic.

Real Name
    Jason

You wouldn't aim the Return across the top of the water straight at the overflow. You would angle it down into the tank to push water from the bottom. I have a long tank (8 foot) and I angle it down across the front and towards the bottom, the water travels to the weir end of the tank at the bottom, then circles back like a whirlpool and along the back of the tank. Other things happen with the flow, but that's the general big push. I don't think it would matter where you put it as long as it's going generally in a downward direction. I think the main reason to have it on opposite sides of the tank is because weirs and overflow boxes take up the corner space that you generally use for the Return.