ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Stunted growth?

Registered Member

Default Stunted growth?

We purchased some discus back in May 2017. All of them were around quarter size. Today (September), one of them is still small, around a quarter to 1/2 dollar size (1 and 1/2 inches). The others are around 3.5 inches. Are we doing something wrong, or do some stay small?

Real Name
    Kevin

Default Re: Stunted growth?

What is your feeding and water change methods?

If the others grew I would think it is a runt. I think many of us have one in our tank we wish grew better. Some cull them others just keep them. Do you have pics?
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

I feed the whole tank 2 to 3 times a day of frozen blood worms. Water changes are 2 to 3 times a week. Mostly 20% water change and about every 2 weeks I do a gravel clean.

Registered Member

I guess I'm assuming it must be a runt because it eats just like the others and is very healthy. I'll try to upload a photo.

You may benefit by going to the nutrition section. Blood worms are considered a "treat" there are many other higher protein choices for optimal growth. Also larger water changes and changing gravel to a thin layer of pool filter sand or going bare bottom would help greatly with water quality. Have you seen Al's sticky in the beginner section? It's a video well worth your time. Just some suggestions for optimal growth and success ....
    Last edited by Jenene; 09-02-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Redvelvet View Post
    I feed the whole tank 2 to 3 times a day of frozen blood worms. Water changes are 2 to 3 times a week. Mostly 20% water change and about every 2 weeks I do a gravel clean.
    If you want those fish to grow to their potential you will need to make some changes. You will need to change more water and feed a more quality and varied diet
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is