ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on this tank?

Default Any thoughts on this tank?

Ooops...Tank singular.

So I decided to make the crossover to reef but I am struggling with the system I want. At first I thought of a small bio cube type tank. Then I saw the rimless and loved the look. I really like the 45 gallon Red Sea Max 170 that comes ready to go with everything built into the back and a great lighting system, cabinet ect...it also has the ability to upgrade to a bigger sump. I like the flexibility of that. The issue is the price is pretty high. I have been saving for it and was almost there when I saw this tank on Craig's list. As I usually do I made a too quick decision and brought the thing home with me. It is a gorgeous 30 gallon extra high tank. It was only 6 months old and came with an almost new Eshopps overflow and a Hydor in tank skimmer and an Aqueon modular led light which I know I will need to upgrade right away if I keep it. No sump. The guy was using it as a frag refugium and had it hooked up to his main sump.

The problem is the cabinet is so small. It is only 22" long and the smallest sump I can find is 24". I do not want to run a canister for 2 reasons. The first being I don't want to see all the equipment in the tank. I don't even like the fact that the skimmer would be visible. I also have a canister on my community tank and despise maintaining it.

I cleaned it up and re-listed it back on Craig's list at what I paid for it- $225.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could do a smaller sump? Make one out of an 8 gallon tank? Too small?

Should I convert a wet /dry into a sump? Those are smaller...

My goal is to keep mostly soft corals a few easy fish and a small clean up crew.

If I can figure out how to make it work I may keep it if I don't get any bites on it but would really rather get the one I really wanted... Life is too short to mess around...

I would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions since I know very little about getting these things going. I have been reading and watching lots of BRS videos but this tank is a weird problem. Opinions? Keep it or sell?

If any of you guys would like it I will be at Al's in May and can bring it with. A handy guy could do great things with this I think.

5.jpg2.jpg30 gallon 3.jpg
    Last edited by Jenene; 03-30-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Default Re: Any thoughts on this tanks?

Get a much bigger tank so you can fit any sump you want

I know someone with a nice eshopps on a discus tank that is a PITA that would work great for a reef tank

It didn't take you long to find this post Ryan! I like how you think!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

lol @ ryan! right to the point!

i cant offer any suggestions but its a very neat shape with a big viewing area!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    lol @ ryan! right to the point!

i cant offer any suggestions but its a very neat shape with a big viewing area!
    It's for sale Kyla!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

haha! ive sworn never to bring another tank home. i had a bit of an addiction... browsing craigslist is dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    haha! ive sworn never to bring another tank home. i had a bit of an addiction... browsing craigslist is dangerous!
    Where were you last Sunday when I needed you to talk me out of this?

So a huge thanks to Ryan who advised me to check out tank sizes online. Found that a 10 gallon may possibly be squeezed in there. He also told me about the baffle kits that are sold to fit standard tanks on ebay. So it will be possible to do a good sump if I get stuck with this one.

It is a nice looking tank for sure. I will give it a bit of time and see what happens on CL. If someone does like it at least I can tell them they can have a sump!

Either way I can sleep tonight knowing that I can make it work-thanks my friend!

Registered Member

sell that tank and id say go with a rimless. just looks so much cleaner. i personally love rimless shallow reef tanks. gl with whatever route you go

Quote Originally Posted by nikond70s View Post
    sell that tank and id say go with a rimless. just looks so much cleaner. i personally love rimless shallow reef tanks. gl with whatever route you go
    I am going to try. I love the rimless as well. Although the one I am looking at is not really shallow.

I just really wanted to know that if I had to I could get this running for awhile. It will even make an easier selling point for me being able to tell someone else a sump can be done.

Thanks for the luck! Most likely will be needing a lot of that in the next few months. Hoping to keep the rookie mistakes to a minimum. Already made a huge one.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I bought my whole setup tank and sump and return pump for $175 on cl. Prior I was looking at the jbj rl45 they are priced fair and are all in one. I know several that use them with great scuess. My tank is 24"x24" with a 20"x20" sump. I would be patient and look for the best deal.

Thanks Devon, I saw your post with that tank. That was a great deal. Very cool looking tank. I am really looking forward to picking your brain at Al's in may. I hope you are still going.

I have this one set up empty and it is growing on me. I do love the tall sleek look of it. I can really imagine how a great scape with corals could look in this extra tall tank. Originally l liked the all in one models for saving me the trouble of piecing things together- finding the right things which meant work and research. Not laziness but just completely overwhelmed. I was kind of scared not knowing anything about reef. Since I thought I was going to be stuck with this I started doing the leg work as well as getting help here. Casey was kind enough to give me a list of some equipment that would work well together. Ryan convinced me to spec out the tank sizes for a sump. I found out I CAN squeeze a ten gallon into the cabinet and build my own affordable, custom sump. Getting a bit braver now thanks to the support here.

I will lose the high clarity, low lead glass by not going with a newer model. However I knew I would end up upgrading to a bigger sump so why am I spending money on an all in one? The small built in back of the tank sump would be wasted. I really need to just list pros and cons to keeping this one and itemize what I need to upgrade or buy. I am taking my time reading up and finding videos to learn as much as I can. Funny though how many times I keep changing my mind- it's making me dizzy.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I will be going to Al's, so you can ask away! I think making a pros and cons list is a good idea. The all in one will be a cheaper tank to start up smaller equipment that is made to go into the back ie: protine skimmers, refugiums, hangon reactors. A sumped system allows more water volume larger flexibility bigger equipment, larger cost. It's really down to what you want out of the tank and the reef, and what your expectations are. You plan on keeping soft corals, LPS, SPS? Having both systems I find my self swearing and cursing my 34g saltwater setup much more than my 240g discus system. I think it is I have higher expectations with my saltwater setup. I am a fan of "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid ) and I should have taken my own advice lol, But I am so far in there is no going back now lol.

p.s That is a really tall tank, think about that, when you have to touch the bottom to move frags or pick them up or cleaning it might be a little tricky without a step stool.

Thanks Devon, I can't wait to meet you guys.

I looked at the tank you were thinking about and it is really nice. I also found this one which also has the nice glass and is an all in one. Just need a light and I really think an auto top off would be helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Starfire-Aqua...aquarium&psc=1

I would really consider this one but like you said the one I have is tall. I really like the height. I do need a step stool to reach the bottom but I need one for my discus tank too. That will be the one thing I do already have and not have to buy!

I completely agree that the discus are easier. Just clean stable water. Reef has so many aspects that need to stay balanced. I hear that once they are established they are much better and more self sufficient.

I also think your " kiss" is very wise. I am not ready to venture into the dosing and the pellet and calcium reactors. Just too much to go wrong. Baby steps for me, I am not much of a risk taker. A good skimmer, the best light I can buy, some good water movement and a lot of patience. That needs working on but I am practicing it daily!

Real Name
    Dale

Hey Jenene sorry I haven't been around, the snow has melted so other hobbies and interests start to take over time now. There are many view on all this as you have found, some say biocube is simplest, some say go rimless, so say make a sump, etc etc etc. All are right and correct with their opinions, its simply researching what YOU truly want and then researching everything that goes with it to make it work. On the 75 I just built I used a 29 gallon tank as a sump and used the "glue" in baffles off ebay to make a bioball compartment, sponge compartment, and a return pump/skimmer compartment. On my 100 discus display I use a 5 gallon salt bucket that sits on the rim of 29 gallon tank that the over flow flows through filter floss, sponge and lava rock and trickles out holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket to the sump with the heater and return pump in it. So my point is there are many ways to skin the cat. For a reef system I would not recommend running a canister only filter system but I do run canisters combined with wet dry and sump systems as extra filtration. I would also recommend a drilled tank overflow vice the elbow tube; I fought with those years and years ago with trapped air. I know they have newer designs but there is still a box hanging in the tank. If you want to stick with your current tank do some brainstorming and find a container that fits into the cabinet and then "we all" may be able to help design a wet dry sump for you. If you get a new tank start by thinking of the filter system, then where and what skimmer will fit, do you want the heater in the tank or sump?, return pump size, and then finish off thinking about what light system you will want. If you ever have direct questions PM me so I get an email notice. And lastly I will still be going to Al's Party and you are welcome to come by my place before or after the party.
    Last edited by Yom; 04-04-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast