AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on this tank?

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: Any thoughts on this tanks?

That is a nice tank package and a common tank size that many reefers use. Any tank 24''x24'' you can get away with a single ecotech radion,kessil, aquaillumination prime hd. Also a ATO is a must! saves so much time to not have to top off daily and keeps water salinity stable. Keeping soft corals like leathers, zoas, and other polyps and some lps corals you don't need to dose, just regular water changes with good reef salt will replenish the levels. I'd start with fish only with live rock and run it for some months and try and keep a low nutrient tank and if levels are stable and low add some softies in and go from there. I have a 10g nano that I have in my fish room that I literally do nothing on, just top off with freshwater that looks great, I'll have to post a pic of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    That is a nice tank package and a common tank size that many reefers use. Any tank 24''x24'' you can get away with a single ecotech radion,kessil, aquaillumination prime hd. Also a ATO is a must! saves so much time to not have to top off daily and keeps water salinity stable. Keeping soft corals like leathers, zoas, and other polyps and some lps corals you don't need to dose, just regular water changes with good reef salt will replenish the levels. I'd start with fish only with live rock and run it for some months and try and keep a low nutrient tank and if levels are stable and low add some softies in and go from there. I have a 10g nano that I have in my fish room that I literally do nothing on, just top off with freshwater that looks great, I'll have to post a pic of it.
    Thanks Devon for the info. I see that most of the good lights really do a good job on a 24" x 24" space. If I keep the tall tank I have it would certainly fit under those specs. The stock you mentioned are just what I am aiming for.
    I would love pic of your nano whgen you get a chance. It is crazy to me that you can keep things healthy in such a tiny tank!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    Hey Jenene sorry I haven't been around, the snow has melted so other hobbies and interests start to take over time now. There are many view on all this as you have found, some say biocube is simplest, some say go rimless, so say make a sump, etc etc etc. All are right and correct with their opinions, its simply researching what YOU truly want and then researching everything that goes with it to make it work. On the 75 I just built I used a 29 gallon tank as a sump and used the "glue" in baffles off ebay to make a bioball compartment, sponge compartment, and a return pump/skimmer compartment. On my 100 discus display I use a 5 gallon salt bucket that sits on the rim of 29 gallon tank that the over flow flows through filter floss, sponge and lava rock and trickles out holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket to the sump with the heater and return pump in it. So my point is there are many ways to skin the cat. For a reef system I would not recommend running a canister only filter system but I do run canisters combined with wet dry and sump systems as extra filtration. I would also recommend a drilled tank overflow vice the elbow tube; I fought with those years and years ago with trapped air. I know they have newer designs but there is still a box hanging in the tank. If you want to stick with your current tank do some brainstorming and find a container that fits into the cabinet and then "we all" may be able to help design a wet dry sump for you. If you get a new tank start by thinking of the filter system, then where and what skimmer will fit, do you want the heater in the tank or sump?, return pump size, and then finish off thinking about what light system you will want. If you ever have direct questions PM me so I get an email notice. And lastly I will still be going to Al's Party and you are welcome to come by my place before or after the party.
    No worries Dale! You have been so helpful. Really I am just in awe of how great everyone has been here.

I agree with the overflow box. It scares the heck out of me. The one that came with the tank is less than 6 months old and a great brand(Eshopps) but I know they all have their issues.

I did find that a 10 gallon tank just fits if you drop it in (well not drop-drop) through the top of the stand- so I could do a ten gallon sump. I really do like the look of the tank. It just looks elegant even just sitting there with nothing in it. Although if I do keep it I will strip the blue off the back and replace it with black.

You are right I would not want to do a canister. If I did not get an all in one tank I would do a sump. I am surprised you recommend a wet dry for reef. I know they are really great with fresh water but have not seen them used in marine.

I was afraid of all the research in the beginning but now I am finding it kind of fun. It is all starting to make sense now. It is just crazy how many products are out there though. Truly overwhelming. That is where you guys are coming in really handy.

I am still torn between live and dry rock. That is like opening Pandora's Box at the mention of that. I think my mindset is still on how careful we are with discus. I am going to need some strong convincing to go one way or the other. So many opinions on that.

I would love to try to make a visit possible. That is so kind of you. As we get closer to the date I can look at the logistics. That would be really cool to be able to see your tanks first hand. Thank you so much for your help. Seriously, you guys are the best.
    Last edited by Jenene; 04-04-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Jenene, I used bulk reef supply's reef saver rock and I avoided all hitchhikers and aiptasia and I would never get live rock again lol, It has been 8 months and my rock that use to be white is now covered in coraline and all sorts of life and is pest free! It is a relief to know that what ever is in the thak is what you put in there.

Jenene, I used bulk reef supply's reef saver rock and I avoided all hitchhikers and aiptasia and I would never get live rock again lol, It has been 8 months and my rock that use to be white is now covered in coraline and all sorts of life and is pest free! It is a relief to know that what ever is in the thak is what you put in there.
    Thanks so much Devon, I am not in a hurry so I could do that. I watched the BRS video on rock selection. It was very interesting. He seemed to be neutral and then threw in at the end that he knows lots of reefers that started with live rock and just couldn't win the pest battle and ended up tearing everything down and starting over. That is not something I would enjoy. Sounds very frustrating and expensive.

I know people swear by live rock, including my neighborhood reef guy who is very experienced as well as many great people here. That is why it is not an easy decision but hugely important that you make the right one for you.

So this may be a dumb newbie question (one of many I have forming) but where does the coraline and life come from? Does it come in with the fish? Corals? In a bottle? Did you have issues with algae on start up? I saw BRS used a Red Sea starter kit to get the bacteria going and there was a step that helps balance things out to avoid the algae. How did you do it? You make is sound so easy!

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Jenene,
    I started my 10g nano with beautiful live rock and loved it but, it has lots of aiptasia, and I had a very tiny black claw crab that was eating my green star polyps at night and killing my snails. It took me months to figure out what happened and the only way I found out is when I was feeding my nem the little piece of fish floated away and when under the liver rock and when I tried to grab it it was tugged on and I was like what was that? So I got in there with a flashlight and behold a tiny crab the size of a pea! I had to take the rock out and stab at it to get him out and flushed him! no more issues after that only the aiptasia. And to answer your question about the coraline it comes from a source, there is always spots on coral frags and once it is in the tank it releases spores that travel around the tank and once you get a good spot growing take a brush and give it a scrub every time you clean the tank and in time it will cover. I harvested some off of a power head from the nano, I basically scraped it off and put it into the refugium. And as far as start up I dosed with ammonia and cycled for 2 months. But to recap live rock is great, its interesting to watch and comes pre loaded with life but you never know what you get and if I was going to do a fish only system with live rock then that's my pick but when corals are introduced dry rock is my choice. As for algae you will encounter algae regardless of rock type but as I stated prior keep your nutrient levels low and that will reduce algae growth. I have noticed that I never had any other type of algaw besided green hair algae that is a result of high nutrients but I never got any other type.

Thanks Devon, you shared a lot of great information here that I had not heard before- even with all the articles I have been reading and vid watching.

Your story about the crab is kind of scary! Playing tug of war in the tank with a tiny unseen monster is kind of a strange scenario. It is amazing how something so small can cause so much mayhem. It is good to hear you won that little war!

I definitely would eventually like a lot of corals. That is my main theme is mostly coral and only a few fish and inverts.

The coraline spread is really interesting as well. I figured it must come in on something. It is really beautiful once it takes hold.

Can I ask why you chose Reef Ready over dry Pukani? Are there any other advantages other than having to clean and cure it? I imagine with the Reef Rock you just put it right in the tank and start the cycle correct?

So lots of interesting things to consider here. Thanks so much.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I likes the reef saver rock because of its ability to blend at the seams. It is easy to fit together and is almost like a puzzle. You can order and put a comment in that you want postly softball pieces or what ever size you want and the guys at bulk reef supply will try and cator. When you scape with the reef saver you only need a little epoxy and stick the pieces together, then take a little of the dust/pebbles that are in the bottom of the box and stick it on the epoxy and it makes an invisible seam.

Default Re: Any thoughts on this tank?

Does anyone have any good ideas for an in sump skimmer for this tank? I have spent a hours researching them and have it narrowed down to a few. However I really need it to be efficient, quiet and would love the porice to be under $250 since I just paid a ton for a light.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-o...n-skimmer.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-...n-skimmer.html

The octopus may be a bit of an over kill and the Skimz had a few issues with noise and quality. I was looking at some of the micro ones before but now my tank size is larger and includes the 10 gallon sump. (I was thinking of a nano when I first popped on here)

Any thoughts on your experience with brands or specifics on smaller skimmers would be very helpful. Thanks!

Also- Thanks so much to whichever mod fixed my title it was driving me crazy...

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I have a bubble magus curve5 and it is very quiet and works very well. I was going to get the 110sss but found the bubble magus on ebay for $70 and I researched a lot about the skimmer shape and wanted the wine bottle shape and the bubble magus did the deal. It has all the features I wanted. Take a look on ebay I bought almost all of my equipment of there and saved bundles. Here's the link http://www.marinedepot.com/Bubble_Ma...FIPSIS-vi.html

I have a bubble magus curve5 and it is very quiet and works very well. I was going to get the 110sss but found the bubble magus on ebay for $70 and I researched a lot about the skimmer shape and wanted the wine bottle shape and the bubble magus did the deal. It has all the features I wanted. Take a look on ebay I bought almost all of my equipment of there and saved bundles. Here's the link http://www.marinedepot.com/Bubble_Ma...FIPSIS-vi.html
    Thanks Devon, that one does look good. It is funny because when I ordered my light from BRS there was an issue with the shipping address and I had to call them. They asked what I was setting up and told them what I was up to. They suggested the Tunze (not sure which model but the box, for nano) I was really surprised. I don't think that one would be big enough for the 30 gallon and the water in the sump. The tank actually came with a Hydor that is very similar. I thought I would wait and build the sump to see where the water line actually falls and try the one I have. I know I will end up going bigger like the one you have though. Unfortunately it is not any deal on Ebay or anywhere else right now but it is within $20 of the other one I had found. I am certain the other one will not work in the sump the way I want it to. So thank you for the heads up. I would go with your model before venturing out into the random reviewed one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12