AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Half white eggs help..

Registered Member

Unhappy Half white eggs help..

So not sure what's going on but I think I have narrowed it down to the fact my water is too hard.. tds reads 140. Not sure why only half are white tho. Within 24 hrs they all turned white. I thought previously maybe just the male didn't fertilize all of the eggs perhaps idk.
    Here is a pic
    IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Half white eggs help..

From what I've read optimal egg hatching hardness should be from 50-75 tds. Am I correct?

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Discus18 View Post
    From what I've read optimal egg hatching hardness should be from 50-75 tds. Am I correct?
    Aim for a TDS of 80 ppm or less.I get good results when the TDS is around 80 or less.Hard water is not the cause of eggs turn white always, many a times it is the pair that too young ( males mature later than females)and sometimes it two females that have paired up.
    Last edited by Akili; 03-31-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

I don't think it was 2 females because half of eggs were white. It looks like maybe half of the eggs were fertilized and the other half were not. I think you are right the male is still young. I'm going to start lowering TDS with RO water.

Registered Member SomeFin's Fishy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark

Be patient with your fish. As Akili already said, males mature later than females and may not be properly fertilizing the eggs. They just need some time to get things right. All of our fish are spawned in straight tap water with a tds of around 140. Some pairs have nearly 100% fertility while others may consistently be less than 50%. All of a sudden, when they figure it out, fertility jumps to a much higher rate. Every pair is different. Then you get to worry as to whether or not they will be good parents.....

Registered Member

So just stay my course with normal filtered aged tap water?