AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What color are eggs during the laying and hatching phase?

Registered Member

Default What color are eggs during the laying and hatching phase?

My pair laid eggs in the evening yesterday, it has been about 30 hours. Some of the eggs have turned white but some are still orange. Is this a sign of fertilized eggs or unfertilized eggs? I did not see the pair lay the eggs because I left and came back with eggs. Earlier in the day I did see the two swimming around and shaking but the male wasn't as involved like the last spawns.

The male actually got cloudy and popeye for a few weeks after the first two spawns, I got eggs and let nature take its course by not covering the eggs but this time I am. The male is still not fully heal from the cloudy eye because it is still slightly cloudy but seems stable now. I guess he thinks he is healthy enough to spawn. I have not seen the male fan or watch the eggs yet, only the female is watching the eggs.

Also, what is the timeline of egg color during the laying to hatching phase?

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: What color are eggs during the laying and hatching phase?

5 days from being laid to free swimming. White eggs are definitely a no go, but the others may very well be viable. If they haven't gone white by tonight they were fertilized, bad eye and all. If you're going to have much chance of raising young you may need to step up your husbandry, little ones really need a LOT of water changes.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12 View Post
    My pair laid eggs in the evening yesterday, it has been about 30 hours. Some of the eggs have turned white but some are still orange. Is this a sign of fertilized eggs or unfertilized eggs? I did not see the pair lay the eggs because I left and came back with eggs. Earlier in the day I did see the two swimming around and shaking but the male wasn't as involved like the last spawns.

The male actually got cloudy and popeye for a few weeks after the first two spawns, I got eggs and let nature take its course by not covering the eggs but this time I am. The male is still not fully heal from the cloudy eye because it is still slightly cloudy but seems stable now. I guess he thinks he is healthy enough to spawn. I have not seen the male fan or watch the eggs yet, only the female is watching the eggs.

Opaque eggs are infertile of dead, translucent eggs are viable. As Keith said, you really need to step up your husbandry if you are trying to breed discus. Also, what is your TDS?

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Orange eggs from color food.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    5 days from being laid to free swimming. White eggs are definitely a no go, but the others may very well be viable. If they haven't gone white by tonight they were fertilized, bad eye and all. If you're going to have much chance of raising young you may need to step up your husbandry, little ones really need a LOT of water changes.
    It is very weird, I think there is something with the water. I do water changes 3x a week 50%, with 1 100% a week. Don't know why the bouts of disease keep popping up.

A good portion of them have turned really dark and some have turned white. What do I do now? They are in the main tank and there are 7 of them. There are two more discus that have paired up and have started to lay eggs as I type this post.

How should I go about caring for the fry?

The pair that have laid eggs and turned dark are a cross between Eruption Leopard x Blue Snakeskin.

The other is Golden Lollipop x Marlboro.

Aggression is very high, the two pairs are fighting each other.
    Last edited by jeff12; 04-02-2017 at 03:07 AM.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Generally bouts of disease popping up have one common element, poor living conditions. Your stated WC regiment sure isn't the worst I've ever seen, but your cloudy eyed fish is trying to tell something about it isn't good enough. You didn't say, is the tank bare bottom?

As hard as it's going to be for you, I wouldn't do anything with the current batch of eggs. The parents need to develop some good parenting skills and defending the eggs and fry from intruders is a big part of that. If you get free swimmers odds are very high they'll all disappear, but the pair will spawn again within a week. I'd let them spawn in the community tank another time or two, but then or sooner they're going to need a tank of their own. Either that or they need to be divided off in their current tank, but a separate tank in the long run is a lot easier to deal with. Meanwhile start reading about raising baby brine shrimp (bbs), that will be the first thing you'll need to do if you're going to go to the next level. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ink#post566827

Real Name
    Rick

It is very weird, I think there is something with the water. I do water changes 3x a week 50%, with 1 100% a week. Don't know why the bouts of disease keep popping up.

A good portion of them have turned really dark and some have turned white. What do I do now? They are in the main tank and there are 7 of them. There are two more discus that have paired up and have started to lay eggs as I type this post.

How should I go about caring for the fry?

The pair that have laid eggs and turned dark are a cross between Eruption Leopard x Blue Snakeskin.

The other is Golden Lollipop x Marlboro.

Aggression is very high, the two pairs are fighting each other.
    What is your TDS?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Orange eggs from color food.

Cliff
    are u sure this is correct? i had 2 pairs in the same tank, one which laid orange eggs and the other laid clear eggs consistently. they all ate the same food... i figured it had something to do with the genetics of the females. one was a tony tan blue moon heckel and the other was a yellow pigeon. both batches hatched into wrigglers.

Registered Member

I don't know what my TDS is. Tank is bare bottom.

The dark eggs that I saw last night, some of them have turned white.What caused this? There are maybe like 10 dark eggs left and some of them are shaking.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    are u sure this is correct? i had 2 pairs in the same tank, one which laid orange eggs and the other laid clear eggs consistently. they all ate the same food... i figured it had something to do with the genetics of the females. one was a tony tan blue moon heckel and the other was a yellow pigeon. both batches hatched into wrigglers.
    At some point in time they were enchanted but not
    by you, this makes a orange color similar to what
    are done with Salmon fish. With coloring normal
    color should be more of an amber color, the Pigeons
    should be a clear color. Only other way to tell
    is by disection.

Cliff

Registered Member

I don't know what my TDS is. Tank is bare bottom.

The dark eggs that I saw last night, some of them have turned white.What caused this? There are maybe like 10 dark eggs left and some of them are shaking.
    Confirm pair with wrigglers. They should be free swimming in a couple of day, but before free swimming you should notice wrigglers forming
    into the clumping stage. Where in the BayArea
    do you live?

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-02-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Confirm pair with wrigglers. They should be free swimming in a couple of day, but before free swimming you should notice wrigglers forming
    into the clumping stage. Where in the BayArea
    do you live?

Cliff
    Most of the dark eggs that I saw turned white the next day. The wrigglers that were left all flew off. I cleaned the cone off for them to start again.

I live in the south bay.

Registered Member

Most of the dark eggs that I saw turned white the next day. The wrigglers that were left all flew off. I cleaned the cone off for them to start again.

I live in the south bay.
    Why I ask where you live was because I might
    know the water quality or a Discus Breeder in
    your area and how they condition there breeding
    water. Depending where you live in the South Bay
    some hobbyists use RO water and some will use
    only tap.
    About the eggs turning white after they were black
    could be an indication that the spawn saw too weak
    or the water could be a little hard or both.
    Better Luck on the next spawn,

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-05-2017 at 01:32 PM.