ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protocol for determination of whirling causes

Registered Member

Default Re: Protocol for determination of whirling causes

This is not true for me. I have lost at least 2 or 3 alphas due to whirling. In my case the first infected fish is always the one that eat the most.

Best,
    Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    The weakest will be always the first infected, stress and all. Whatever it is, its contagious and it always spreads, but not to all discus. Some may have had aquaried immunity. For example, one scandinavian guy had a group of Unini heckles. Bu only 3 got the disease and he cured it with a salt bath. As far i remember, Pat Husband had it (with Tefe and Unini heckel), the brazilian guy with Cuipea and Farebox, again with Unini.

Registered Member

Kira Ken, then tis like with headstanding (swim bladder infection), its always the most dominant fish. Hm, maybe its a stress of being on the top?
    Al, i am not biased, but the nature of the disease (symptoms come in a certain rythm, not unlike malaria feaver attacks). I agree, the correct anwser would be to autopsy such diseased individulas.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Nealen

Hmm? Whirling disease? Gas distress order? Micro bubbles? Capillaria? All seem to be possible causes.
    I currently have 5 fish out of 7 affected. Other two may just be showing different behavior.
    Two physically have jumped out of my tanks. I really don't know if it was dumb luck or what but on both occasions I was there To scoop them back up and get them back into the water. Today infact was one of the days.
    I might add , I believe that my three Cory cats have been infected as well. They did not whirl like the Discus, but were the first to show sines of distress. Namely Skiddish.
    In my case there are so so many variables it would be hard to pinpoint a exact source or cause. In time I am sure I will lose a fish. When that time comes I will send the fish in to have it examined to find the actual cause ,disease. I currently can not bring my self to cull one of them.
    Although it seems the fish get better for a period of time. The symptoms return. Medication doesn't seem to help.
    The fish can appear to be getting better for days even weeks, looking happy and healthy. And in a blink of an eye, go smashing it's self into everything and swirling or whirling at full speed. It seems to stop after it hits it's head fairly hard against something. But it is only temporary as it will do this several times for days. Then sometimes returns to almost what you would call normal for some time.

Excessive Eating does seem to trigger the whirling, but I believe it is a reaction to the cause.
    Also to be mentioned, water changes also seem to trigger it. More so with water direct from the tap.

Today I am trying to Get in contact with an aquatic veteran to stop by or at least speak to directly.
    This problem truly has taken any pleasure or enjoyment out of owning these fish. Truthfully it is disturbing.
    One day I hope to have an answer to better help others in countering similar problems.
    Last edited by Mark N; 04-05-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

I might add one more observation. Among Angelfish fry it is something I’ve encountered. In a clutch of around 50+ a couple were spinners. I watched for a couple of days with and with no improvement I finally culled them, namely: fed them to the Discus. It’s been weeks with no further incidents. I’m inclined to think it’s environmental and possibly the fish suffer a siezure or have experienced a stroke. Certainly seems to be the result of something other than parasite or bacterial as more of the fry would have perished..? By the way none of the affected fish were deformed suggesting any type of genetic issue.

removing my post, moving to below, didnt notice this thread was so old and in a section not really matching what I was sharing

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...06#post1279606
    Last edited by Bizarro252; 12-31-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12